Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for 2019-06-19
This is the 170th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 195 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1586, that English colonists leave Roanoke Island, after failing to establish England’s first permanent settlement in North America.
- 173 years ago today, The first officially recorded organized baseball game is played under Alexander Cartwright’s rules on Hoboken, New Jersey’s Elysian Fields with the New York Base Ball Club defeating the Knickerbockers 23 -1. Cartwright umpired.
- On June 19, 1862, The U.S. Congress prohibits slavery in United States territories, nullifying Dred Scott v. Sandford.
- Also today in 1865, Over two years after the Emancipation Proclamation, slaves in Galveston, Texas, United States, are finally informed of their freedom. The anniversary is still officially celebrated in Texas and 41 other contiguous states as Juneteenth.
- It was 109 years ago today, that The first Father’s Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington.
- It was also this date in 1915 that USS Arizona (BB-39) is launched.
- It was 85 years ago today, that The Communications Act of 1934 establishes the United States’ Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- 70 years ago today, The first ever NASCAR race was held at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Cold War: Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are executed at Sing Sing, in New York on this date in 1953.
- June 19, 1964, The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is approved after surviving an 83 -day filibuster in the United States Senate.
- Also today in 1978, Garfield, holder of the Guinness World Record for the world’s most widely syndicated comic strip, makes its debut.
- Also on June 19, 2012, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange requested asylum in London’s Ecuadorian Embassy for fear of extradition to the US after the publication of previously classified documents including footage of civilian killings by the US army.
- That same date in 2018, The 10,000,000th United States Patent is issued.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal, born on this date in 1623.
- Joseph Diaz Gergonne, the French mathematician and philosopher was born 248 years ago today.
- Friedrich Sertürner, German chemist and pharmacist was born on that same date in 1783.
- Italian astronomer and academic, Antonio Abetti, born on this date in 1846.
- English physicist, engineer, and academic, Silvanus P. Thompson was born 168 years ago today.
- Born June 19, 1874, Danish physicist and engineer Peder Oluf Pedersen.
- Moe Howard, American comedian was born on that same date in 1897.
- English chemist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Cyril Norman Hinshelwood was born 122 years ago today.
- Born June 19, 1910, American chemist and engineer, Nobel Prize laureate Paul Flory.
- Aage Bohr, the Danish physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born 97 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1926, American mathematician and inventor, Erna Schneider Hoover.
- Viktor Patsayev, the Kazakh engineer and astronaut was born 86 years ago today.
- American actress, Phylicia Rashad is 71 today.
- American actress, Kathleen Turner, born on this date in 1954.
- American singer-songwriter, dancer, actress, and presenter, Paula Abdul is 57 today.
- Also turning 55 today is British journalist and politician, and former Mayor of London Boris Johnson.
- Also born on that same date in 1976, American businessman, co-founded Foursquare, Dennis Crowley.
- Also turning 41 today is American actress Zoe Saldana.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 19, 2019
- 19 – Steven (sphen603) from Wichita, Kansas
- 21 – Ascii Adam from the Hook Show
- 22 – Lance Heath
- 22 – Jack Stevens
- 22 – Chris Martinez (Scotland)
- 25 – Mark Sheppard (Wichita, Kansas) Born 1957
- 25 – Jim Guckin from Philadelphia, PA
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you, Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
|Stephen Wesche||Dean Jenson||DanDMan Coyer|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return, we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- If you could acquire a skill (Matrix Style) what would you want to learn?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five