Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for May 1, 2019
This is the 121st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 244 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1328, By the Treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton the Kingdom of England recognises the Kingdom of Scotland as an independent state.
- It was also this date in 1707 that The Act of Union joining the Kingdom of England and Kingdom of Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain takes effect.
- May 1, 1753, Publication of Species Plantarum by Linnaeus, and the formal start date of plant taxonomy adopted by the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
- Establishment of the Illuminati in Ingolstadt (Upper Bavaria), by Jesuit-taught Adam Weishaupt on this date in 1776.
- It was 179 years ago today, that The Penny Black, the first official adhesive postage stamp, is issued in the United Kingdom.
- Also today in 1851, Queen Victoria opens The Great Exhibition at The Crystal Palace in London.
- 135 years ago today, Moses Fleetwood Walker becomes the first black person to play in a professional baseball game in the United States.
- Proclamation of the demand for eight-hour workday in the United States on this date in 1884.
- Also today in 1885, The original Chicago Board of Trade Building opens for business.
- On May 1, 1930, The dwarf planet Pluto is officially named.
- Also on May 1, 1931, The Empire State Building is dedicated in New York City.
- It was also this date in 1956 that The polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk is made available to the public.
- May 1, 1960, Francis Gary Powers, in a Lockheed U-2 spyplane, is shot down over the Sverdlovsk Oblast, Soviet Union, sparking a diplomatic crisis.
- 52 years ago today, Elvis Presley and Priscilla Beaulieu are married in Las Vegas.
- Disney-MGM Studios opens at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida, United States on this date in 1989.
- 20 years ago today, SpongeBob SquarePants premieres on Nickelodeon after the 1999 Kids’ Choice Awards.
- OpenOffice.org released version 1.0, the first stable version of the software on this date in 2002.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German astronomer, astrologer, mathematician, Johannes Stadius, born on this date in 1527.
- German missionary and astronomer, Johann Adam Schall von Bell was born 428 years ago today.
- William Lilly, English astrologer was born on that same date in 1602.
- Johann Jakob Balmer, the Swiss mathematician and physicist was born 194 years ago today.
- Born May 1, 1910, American astronomer and ufologist J. Allen Hynek.
- Jack Paar, the American comedian, author and talk show host was born 101 years ago today.
- American commander, pilot, and astronaut, Scott Carpenter, born on this date in 1925.
- Also turning 74 today is American singer-songwriter Rita Coolidge.
- Also born on that same date in 1949, American motorcycle designer, co-founded Orange County Choppers, Paul Teutul, Sr..
- American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, Ray Parker, Jr., born on this date in 1954.
- 03 – Keao Wright
- 03 – Leon
- 05 – Joe Mieczkowski host of Onthepodcast
- 06 – Amber Pace (not really a listener, but a mother and a wife of listeners)
- 06 – Bill Barbour
- 06 – Steve Bickle
- 06 – Brian ‘the intern’ Brown
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 1, 2019
- Mathematicians Discover the Perfect Way to Multiply | Quanta Magazine
- One of Stephen Hawking’s Most Famous Theories About Black Holes Just Suffered a Huge Blow
- Hubble hints today’s universe expands faster than it did in the past | Astronomy.com
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Wagon Queen Family Truckster replica sold for six figures | Fox News
- Scientists have used CRISPR to store a GIF inside the DNA of a living cell | Alphr
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Kreg Saw Avengers #EndGame
Question of the week:
- Out of all the Marvel movies leading up to End Game, what is your favorite scene?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five