Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Question of the Week: What do you believe is the… – Technorama Podcast
- Kreg Steppe – What say you?
- Chuck – Universally awesome
On This Day In History for April 17, 2019
This is the 107th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 258 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1492, that Spain and Christopher Columbus sign the Capitulations of Santa Fe for his voyage to Asia to acquire spices.
- April 17, 1521, Trial of Martin Luther over his teachings begins during the assembly of the Diet of Worms. Initially intimidated, he asks for time to reflect before answering and is given a stay of one day.
- That same date in 1861, The state of Virginia’s secession convention votes to secede from the United States, becoming the 8th state to join the Confederate States of America.
- The Ellis Island immigration center processes 11,747 people, more than on any other day on this date in 1907.
- Also today in 1951, The Peak District becomes the United Kingdom’s first National Park.
- 58 years ago today, A group of Cuban exiles financed and trained by the CIA lands at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba with the aim of ousting Fidel Castro.
- Also today in 1969, Sirhan Sirhan is convicted of assassinating Robert F. Kennedy.
- Also on April 17, 1970, The ill-fated Apollo 13 spacecraft returns to Earth safely.
- That same date in 2014, NASA’s Kepler space telescope confirms the discovery of the first Earth-size planet in the habitable zone of another star.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian priest and astronomer, Giovanni Battista Riccioli, born on this date in 1598.
- J. P. Morgan, American banker and financier, founded J.P. Morgan & Co. was born on that same date in 1837.
- Born April 17, 1863, English mathematician and theorist Augustus Edward Hough Love.
- Polish-American ufologist and author, George Adamski was born 128 years ago today.
- Born April 17, 1906, American physician, co-founded Kaiser Permanente Sidney Garfield.
- Harry Reasoner, American soldier and journalist was born on that same date in 1923.
- American broadcaster, founded Home Shopping Network and Pax TV, Bud Paxson was born 84 years ago today.
- Czech pianist, composer, and producer, Jan Hammer, born on this date in 1948.
- American singer-songwriter and guitarist, Michael Sembello is 65 today.
- English actor, Sean Bean, born on this date in 1959.
- 16 – Donna Tomasi
- 18 – Skaifey (Anthony)
- 19 – Amanda (SusietheGeek’s daughter & Geek in Training)
- 21 – Kim and Kreg’s Anniversary
- 23 – Runtime
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 17, 2019
- The creation of the algorithm that made the first black hole image possible was led by MIT grad student Katie Bouman | TechCrunch
- Vaak’s AI theft-detection system is already 81% accurate
- Alien Life Could Thrive On Four Earth-Like Planets Close To The Solar System, Says Study
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||ǝןqou uɥoɾ||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Self-healing space suits among 18 ideas to receive NASA funding
- Lockheed Martin reveals concept for manned lunar lander | TechRadar
Question of the week:
- What sequel to a film do you feel is better than the original?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five