Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for April 10, 2019
This is the 100th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 265 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 837, that Halley’s Comet makes its closest approach to Earth at a distance equal to 0.0342 AU (5.1 million kilometres/3.2 million miles).
- That same date in 1815, The Mount Tambora volcano begins a three-month-long eruption, lasting until July 15. The eruption ultimately kills 71,000 people and affects Earth’s climate for the next two years.
- It was also this date in 1858 After the original Big Ben, a 14.5 tonnes (32,000 lb) bell for the Palace of Westminster, had cracked during testing, it is recast into the current 13.76 tonnes (30,300 lb) bell by Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
- April 10, 1866, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is founded in New York City by Henry Bergh.
- On April 10, 1872, The first Arbor Day is celebrated in Nebraska.
- It was on this date in 1912, that RMS Titanic sets sail from Southampton, England on her maiden and only voyage.
- The Professional Golfers’ Association of America (PGA) is created in New York City on this date in 1916.
- April 10, 1925, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is first published in New York City, by Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- Paul McCartney announces that he is leaving The Beatles for personal and professional reasons on this date in 1970.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German mathematician, physicist, and physician, Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus, born on this date in 1651.
- Born April 10, 1713, English geologist and clockmaker John Whitehurst.
- Giovanni Aldini, Italian physicist and academic was born on that same date in 1762.
- Born April 10, 1919, American engineer and academic John Houbolt.
- Omar Sharif, the Egyptian actor and screenwriter was born 87 years ago today.
- English chemist and academic, Carol V. Robinson is 63 today.
- Also turning 60 today is American singer-songwriter and guitarist Brian Setzer.
- American actor, producer, and screenwriter, Orlando Jones is 51 today.
- English actress, Daisy Ridley, born on this date in 1992.
- 14 – Danny Harnish
- 16 – Donna Tomasi
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 10, 2019
- GPS Rollover is today. Here’s why devices might get wacky | TechCrunch
- A ‘Self-Driving’ Spacecraft May Help Save Earth from Asteroid Collisions
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- NASA’s Curiosity rover showed us two Martian solar eclipses – Vox
- Cats Recognize Their Own Names–Even If They Choose to Ignore Them – Scientific American
Question of the week:
- What do you believe is the most mind blowing fact about the universe?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five