Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Postcard from Jorge
- QotW: What video game had a major impact on your life?
On This Day In History for February 27, 2019
This is the 58th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 307 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 425, that The University of Constantinople is founded by Emperor Theodosius II at the urging of his wife Aelia Eudocia.
- Also today in 1594, Henry IV is crowned King of France.
- 207 years ago today, Poet Lord Byron gives his first address as a member of the House of Lords, in defense of Luddite violence against Industrialism in his home county of Nottinghamshire.
- February 27, 1900, The British Labour Party is founded.
- A challenge to the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, allowing women the right to vote, is rebuffed by the Supreme Court of the United States in Leser v. Garnett on this date in 1922.
- It was also this date in 1940 that Martin Kamen and Sam Ruben discover carbon-14.
- That same date in 1964, The Government of Italy asks for help to keep the Leaning Tower of Pisa from toppling over.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian composer, director, historian, and geographer, Pietro Gnocchi, born on this date in 1689.
- Edward Belcher, British naval officer, hydrographer, and explorer was born on that same date in 1799.
- Born February 27, 1887, Russian captain, pilot, and engineer Pyotr Nesterov.
- Charles Herbert Best, American-Canadian physiologist and biochemist, co-discovered Insulin was born on that same date in 1899.
- Russian physicist and academic, Yulii Borisovich Khariton was born 115 years ago today.
- Kelly Johnson, the American engineer, co-founded Skunk Works was born 109 years ago today.
- Born February 27, 1932, English-American actress and humanitarian Elizabeth Taylor.
- Also born on that same date in 1934, American lawyer, politician, and activist, Ralph Nader.
- Also turning 79 today is American actor Howard Hesseman.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American physicist and cosmologist, Alan Guth.
- Italian car designer, Walter de Silva is 68 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1954, American rock guitarist and singer-songwriter, Neal Schon.
- American singer-songwriter, Johnny Van Zant is 60 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1962, American actor, Adam Baldwin.
- English industrial designer, currently chief design officer (CDO) of Apple, Jonathan Ive is 52 today.
- Also turning 39 today is American journalist and academic Chelsea Clinton.
- 28 – Wayne “Your Ad Here” Pittenger – Bethlehem PA
- 29 – Paul Dove a.k.a Eilmer From Malmesbury UK
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 27, 2019
- National Day of Unplugging – March 1 – 2
- Nike’s self-lacing sneakers turn into bricks after faulty firmware update | Ars Technica
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Japanese Artist Gets Barbecue Fans All Fired Up With Skull-Shaped Charcoal
- Girl Uses “Handwriting Robot” to Complete Homework Faster
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- It’s cool to spool again as the cassette returns on a wave of nostalgia | Music | The Guardian
- This Apple IIe Robot Is the Best Thing You’ll See Today
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- What was the worst video game you have ever played?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five