Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Question of the week: For the podcast tonight: If you had a $200… – Technorama Podcast
Had a quiet moment and thought of you two (how weird)…
Just wanted to drop a quick note to say “hey” and thank you for providing so much great entertainment for so long. I love the levity you bring on an (almost) weekly basis.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to the good stuff from Chuck and Kreg for many years to come.”
On This Day In History for February 20, 2019
This is the 51st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 314 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1792, that The Postal Service Act, establishing the United States Post Office Department, is signed by United States President George Washington.
- 203 years ago today, Rossini’s opera The Barber of Seville premieres at the Teatro Argentina in Rome.
- It was 147 years ago today, that The Metropolitan Museum of Art opens in New York City.
- Also on February 20, 1877, Tchaikovsky’s ballet Swan Lake receives its premiere at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow.
- 88 years ago today, The Congress of the United States approves the construction of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge by the state of California.
- It was also this date in 1935 that Caroline Mikkelsen becomes the first woman to set foot in Antarctica.
- It was on this date in 1962, While aboard Friendship 7, John Glenn becomes the first American to orbit the earth, making three orbits in four hours, 55 minutes.
- 54 years ago today, Ranger 8 crashes into the Moon after a successful mission of photographing possible landing sites for the Apollo program astronauts.
- That same date in 1971, The United States Emergency Broadcast System is accidentally activated in an erroneous national alert.
- It was on this date in 1986, that The Soviet Union launches its Mir spacecraft. Remaining in orbit for 15 years, it is occupied for ten of those years.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German physician, physiologist, and anatomist, Johann Christian Reil, born on this date in 1759.
- Born February 20, 1844, Austrian physicist and philosopher Ludwig Boltzmann.
- Joshua Slocum, the Canadian sailor and adventurer was born 175 years ago today.
- American engineer and politician, 3rd Governor of the Panama Canal Zone, Jay Johnson Morrow was born 149 years ago today.
- Louis Kahn, the American architect, designed the Salk Institute, the Kimbell Art Museum and the Bangladesh Parliament Building was born 118 years ago today.
- Born February 20, 1906, American actor Gale Gordon.
- Bahamian-American actor, director, and diplomat, Sidney Poitier, born on this date in 1927.
- Also born on that same date in 1931, American mathematician and academic, John Milnor.
- Australian minister and amateur astronomer, Robert Evans is 82 today.
- J. Geils, the American singer-songwriter and guitarist was born 73 years ago today.
- Also turning 59 today is American comedian, actor, and screenwriter Joel Hodgson.
- Also born on that same date in 1966, American model and businesswoman, Cindy Crawford.
- Born February 20, 1967, American singer-songwriter and guitarist Kurt Cobain.
- Also turning 31 today is Barbadian-American singer-songwriter and actress Rihanna.
Listener birthdays this week:
- 23 – Zhadum
- 23 – Keith Hughes(a.k.a. EdGizmo)
- 25 – Norbert
- 25 – Sandi Sheppard (Mark’s lovely wife)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 20, 2019
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- I took nearly 50,000 images of the night sky to make an 81 Megapixel image of Tuesday’s moon. Uncompressed image linked in the comments. [OC] : space
- Futurama Characters By Myers-Briggs® Personality Type
- Totally free Last Starfighter video game plays just like in the movie | SYFY WIRE
Question of the week:
- What video game had a major impact on your life?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five