Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for January 30, 2019
This is the 30th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 335 days remaining in 2019.
- It was on this date in 1703, that The Forty-seven rōnin, under the command of Ōishi Kuranosuke, avenge the death of their master.
- 213 years ago today, The original Lower Trenton Bridge (also called the Trenton Makes the World Takes Bridge), which spans the Delaware River between Morrisville, Pennsylvania and Trenton, New Jersey, is opened.
- Also today in 1820, Edward Bransfield sights the Trinity Peninsula and claims the discovery of Antarctica.
- Also on January 30, 1826, The Menai Suspension Bridge, considered the world’s first modern suspension bridge, connecting the Isle of Anglesey to the north West coast of Wales, is opened.
- It was also this date in 1847 that Yerba Buena, California is renamed San Francisco, California.
- January 30, 1889, Archduke Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, heir to the Austro-Hungarian crown, is found dead with his mistress Baroness Mary Vetsera in the Mayerling.
- It was 108 years ago today, that The destroyer USS Terry makes the first airplane rescue at sea saving the life of Douglas McCurdy ten miles from Havana, Cuba.
- It was also this date in 1948 that Mahatma Gandhi is assassinated by Nathuram Godse, a Hindu extremist.
- On January 30, 1948, British South American Airways’ Tudor IV Star Tiger disappears over the Bermuda Triangle.
- 60 years ago today, MS Hans Hedtoft, said to be the safest ship afloat and “unsinkable” like the RMS Titanic, strikes an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sinks, killing all 95 aboard.
- That same date in 1969, The Beatles’ last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records in London. The impromptu concert is broken up by the police.
- On January 30, 1975, The Monitor National Marine Sanctuary is established as the first United States National Marine Sanctuary.
- It was also this date in 1982 that Richard Skrenta writes the first PC virus code, which is 400 lines long and disguised as an Apple boot program called “Elk Cloner”.
- 24 years ago today, Workers from the National Institutes of Health announce the success of clinical trials testing the first preventive treatment for sickle-cell disease.
- It was on this date in 2013, that Naro-1 becomes the first carrier rocket launched by South Korea.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Swedish entomologist and archaeologist, Charles De Geer, born on this date in 1720.
- American lawyer and politician, 32nd President of the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt was born 137 years ago today.
- Born January 30, 1914, American actor David Wayne.
- Delbert Mann, American director and producer was born on that same date in 1920.
- American comedian, actor, and director, Dick Martin was born 97 years ago today.
- Dorothy Malone, American actress was born on that same date in 1924.
- Born January 30, 1925, American computer scientist, invented the computer mouse Douglas Engelbart.
- Also turning 91 today is American director and producer Harold Prince.
- American actor and author, Gene Hackman, born on this date in 1930.
- Also turning 82 today is English actress Vanessa Redgrave.
- American businessman and politician, 46th Vice President of the United States, Dick Cheney, born on this date in 1941.
- Also born on that same date in 1948, English mathematician and academic, Miles Reid.
- Also turning 68 today is English drummer, singer-songwriter, producer, and actor Phil Collins.
- American entertainer, Jody Watley, born on this date in 1959.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 30. 2019
- 03 – Thomas Gideon (The Command Line Podcast)
- 06 – Steve Therrien (Canada)
- 08 – Elvis!
- 09 – Lingo from the Brit & Yankee pubcast
- 14 – Glynne Tolar
- 15 – Ralph Whitfield (aka GoofyRalph)
- 17 – fuffy_frog (aka Kristina) originally from Canada but now from Thailand
- 21 – Michael Rabalais – Stingray42
- 22 – TAW012294
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- 23 – Keith Lane from TGGeeks
- 24 – Cynthia Fry
- 25 – Kreg Steppe
- 26 – Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Mark in Memphis
- 27 – Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 29 – Sarah P. from NJ… who was born in OK, moved to VA, married Brad P, moved to NJ, and is now back in VA
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- 01 – Matt Baum aka Racer X, Pittsburgh PA
- 01 – Brandon Kirkwold – MN
- 02 – Gary Lindros – aka Gary from Jacksonville – Groundhog’s Day Rules!!!
- 02 – Chuck Provenzano aka podlurker aka Chuck’s evil twin
- 02 – Oreo Cookie Monster
- 03 – Euan Campbell McGregor – Scotland, UK
Hacks & Strange Stories
- The World’s Oldest Lie Detector – Licking Hot Metal in the Name of Truth
- Russian City Paints Snow White to Hide Pollution
- Pastor Uses Whisky to Get Men Closer to God
- The “Yellow Man of Aleppo” Has Been Wearing Only Yellow for the Last 35 Years
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry||Amy Bowen||Denise Inglis|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- If you had a $200 million dollar budget and copyright was not an issue…what Movie would you make?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five