Coming up in this episode…
- Magnetic Fields
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Email from Charles Stell
- Ranger Craig has retired
- Fraser’s book arrived
- QotW: What was the worst thing you’ve accidentally played on speakers?
On This Day In History for November 21, 2018
This is the 325th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 40 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 164 BC, that Judas Maccabeus, son of Mattathias of the Hasmonean family, restores the Temple in Jerusalem. This event is commemorated each year by the festival of Hanukkah.
- Also today in 1676, The Danish astronomer Ole Rømer presents the first quantitative measurements of the speed of light.
- It was on this date in 1783, that In Paris, Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier and François Laurent d’Arlandes, make the first untethered hot air balloon flight.
- It was also this date in 1877 that Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound.
- On November 21, 1905, Albert Einstein’s paper that leads to the mass-energy equivalence formula, E = mc², is published in the journal Annalen der Physik.
- November 21, 1953, The Natural History Museum, London announces that the “Piltdown Man” skull, initially believed to be one of the most important fossilized hominid skulls ever found, is a hoax.
- Also on November 21, 1959, American disc jockey Alan Freed, who had popularized the term “rock and roll” and music of that style, is fired from WABC-AM radio over allegations he had participated in the payola scandal.
- Also today in 1964, The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge opens to traffic. At the time it is the world’s longest bridge span.
- That same date in 1969, The first permanent ARPANET link is established between UCLA and SRI.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Canadian businessman, founded the Cunard Line, Samuel Cunard, born on this date in 1787.
- Joseph Campanella, American actor was born on that same date in 1924.
- Georgian chemist and physicist, Revaz Dogonadze was born 87 years ago today.
- American educator and mathematician, Etta Zuber Falconer, born on this date in 1933.
- Henry Hartsfield, the American colonel, pilot, and astronaut was born 85 years ago today.
- Harold Ramis, American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter was born on that same date in 1944.
- Also turning 73 today is American actress, singer, and producer Goldie Hawn.
- 22 – Tom Posz – (from California, USA)
- 25 – Lane Williams
- 26 – Joanie
- 27 – Brad P. from NJ (but who was born in VA, and has moved back there…)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 21, 2018
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Observations from Mariana Trench Show Inner Earth Is Sucking Up Far More Water Than Previously Thought
- Spacecraft Witness Explosion in Earth’s Magnetic Field
- Bipartisan TRACED Act Cracks Down on Illegal Robocall Scams – U.S. Senator Ed Markey of Massachusetts
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Swiss Cheese Maker Plays Music to His Cheese to Make It Taste Better « Oddity Central – Collecting Oddities
- 95-Year-Old Man Wakes Up at His Own Funeral, Says He Was Just Taking a Nap « Oddity Central – Collecting Oddities
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Marvel Co-Creator Stan Lee’s Text About Racism From 1968 Explains What Kind Of Person He Really Was | Bored Panda
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Harold McKinstry|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- What geeky/tech thing are you thankful for?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five