Coming up in this episode…
- Gary Kurtz
- AI and Guns
- Word Mangler 2000
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Feedback from Jorge
- So the 50 times close was bugging me while stuck in traffic… would it not be the sun -> mercury distance devices by 50?
- Say Mercury is 50 units removed from the sun. 50 times close would be 1 unit removed? So 50/50 = 1?
- Another player in the rocket space: Blue Origin
- What’s your favorite time travel movie?
On This Day In History for October 5, 2018
This is the 276th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 89 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1283, that Dafydd ap Gruffydd, prince of Gwynedd in Wales, is the first nobleman to be executed by hanging, drawing and quartering.
- It was 229 years ago today, that George Washington makes the first Thanksgiving Day designated by the national government of the US.
- Also today in 1849, American author Edgar Allan Poe is found delirious in a gutter in Baltimore under mysterious circumstances; it is the last time he is seen in public before his death.
- 155 years ago today, The last Thursday in November is declared as Thanksgiving Day by United States President Abraham Lincoln as are Thursdays, November 30, 1865 and November 29, 1866.
- Captain Jack and companions are hanged for their part in the Modoc War on this date in 1873.
- Also today in 1919, Cincinnati Reds pitcher Adolfo Luque becomes the first Latin player to appear in a World Series.
- Also on October 3, 1929, The Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes is renamed to Kingdom of Yugoslavia, “Land of the South Slavs”.
- On October 3, 1942, the first successful launch of a V-2 /A4 -rocket from Test Stand VII at Peenemünde, Germany. It is the first man-made object to reach space.
- That same date in 1949, WERD, the first black-owned radio station in the United States, opens in Atlanta.
- 66 years ago today, The United Kingdom successfully tests a nuclear weapon to become the world’s third nuclear power.
- Sigma 7 is launched from Cape Canaveral as part of Project Mercury, with astronaut Wally Schirra aboard, for a six-orbit, nine-hour flight on this date in 1962.
- It was also this date in 1985 that The Space Shuttle Atlantis makes its maiden flight. (Mission STS-51 -J).
- Also today in 1986, TASCC, a superconducting cyclotron at the Chalk River Laboratories, is officially opened.
- That same date in 1995, O. J. Simpson is acquitted of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian physicist and academic, Giovanni Battista Beccaria, born on this date in 1716.
- Russian archaeologist and explorer, Pyotr Kozlov was born 155 years ago today.
- American film producer, Ray Stark, born on this date in 1915.
- Born October 3, 1925, American novelist, screenwriter, and critic Gore Vidal.
- Also turning 83 today is American general, pilot, and astronaut Charles Duke.
- Belgian mathematician and academic, Pierre Deligne, born on this date in 1944.
- Also turning 71 today is American poet, songwriter, blogger, and activist John Perry Barlow.
- American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer, Lindsey Buckingham, born on this date in 1949.
- Also turning 69 today is American photographer and director Laurie Simmons.
- American geologist and astronaut, Kathryn D. Sullivan, born on this date in 1951.
- Also born on that same date in 1964, English actor, Clive Owen.
- American singer-songwriter, actress, and fashion designer, Gwen Stefani, born on this date in 1969.
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 5, 2018
- RIP Gary Kurtz, the Producer Who Helped Bring Star Wars to Life
- This Japanese Startup Will Quit Your Job for You
- AI camera can spot guns and alert law enforcement
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
(no not that John Noble)
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Amber Elstad||Your name here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Jeopardy Contests Struggle Through ‘Video Games’ Category – Geekologie
- NEW SEGMENT: Translations gone wrong: Green Eggs and Ham
Question of the week:
- What mundane task do you want a robot to do for you?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five