Coming up in this episode…
- Computer Lab
- Invisible Walls
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for August 8, 2018
This is the 220th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 145 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1576, that The cornerstone for Tycho Brahe’s Uraniborg observatory is laid on the island of Hven.
- August 8, 1585, John Davis enters Cumberland Sound in search of the Northwest Passage.
- Also today in 1786, Mont Blanc on the French-Italian border is climbed for the first time by Jacques Balmat and Dr. Michel-Gabriel Paccard.
- Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph on this date in 1876.
- 110 years ago today, Wilbur Wright makes his first flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France. It is the Wright Brothers’ first public flight.
- August 8, 1929, The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.
- On August 8, 1946, First flight of the Convair B-36, the world’s first mass-produced nuclear weapon delivery vehicle, the heaviest mass-produced piston-engined aircraft, with the longest wingspan of any military aircraft, and the first bomber with intercontinental range.
- It was 55 years ago today, the Great Train Robbery: In England, a gang of 15 train robbers steal £2.6 million in bank notes.
- It was also this date in 1969 that At a zebra crossing in London, photographer Iain Macmillan takes the iconic photo that becomes the cover image of the Beatles’ album Abbey Road.
- It was 49 years ago today, that The Manson Family commits the Tate murders.
- President Richard Nixon, in a nationwide television address, announces his resignation from the office of the President of the United States effective noon the next day on this date in 1974.
- It was also this date in 1989 that Space Shuttle program: STS-28 Mission: Space Shuttle Columbia takes off on a secret five-day military mission.
- 18 years ago today, Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley is raised to the surface after 136 years on the ocean floor and 30 years after its discovery by undersea explorer E. Lee Spence.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate, Ernest Lawrence, born on this date in 1901.
- Paul Dirac, English-American physicist and academic, Nobel Prize laureate was born on that same date in 1902.
- English animator and producer, John David Wilson was born 99 years ago today.
- Richard Anderson, the American actor and producer was born 92 years ago today.
- Also born on that same date in 1931, English physicist, mathematician, and philosopher, Roger Penrose.
- American director, producer, and screenwriter, Donald P. Bellisario is 83 today.
- Also turning 81 today is American actor and director Dustin Hoffman.
- English chemist and academic, Jack Baldwin is 80 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1948, Russian engineer and astronaut, Svetlana Savitskaya.
- American actor, Keith Carradine is 69 today.
- American actor and director, Don Most, born on this date in 1953.
- Also turning 57 today is British-Irish musician, singer and songwriter The Edge.
- 08 – Philippa Ballantine
- 09 – Matt Coe (WoWaddict) 
- 09 – Julia Posz – (Technorama Promo)
- 10 – Sam Martin
- 11 – Steve Wozniak
- 11 – David Brewer (Tyrion The Imp)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 8, 2018
- More states join lawsuit to keep 3D-printed gun plans off the internet
- Iconic Planet-Hunting Kepler Telescope Wakes Up, Phones Home – Slashdot
- The World’s First Full-Color, 3D X-rays Are Freaking Me Out
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by…YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Megapodtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- ‘RSS Has Already Won’ – Slashdot
- Last Blockbuster Documentary KickStarter Offers Fans a Chance to Work There – MovieWeb
Question of the week
End of Show Stuff
No show Sunday 8/12 – Chuck is working remotely
Dog Days Promotion
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five