Coming up in this episode…
- Escape Rooms
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- JoLene McFarland
Thank you for the shout out on your show.
I don’t just do cosplay at the Renaissance Festival, I am a Stage Manager for one of the stages. Here is a photo of me doing my rounds hydrating others who work there as well. (Yes, that is me in the middle)
On This Day In History for August 1, 2018
This is the 213rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 152 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1498, that Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to visit what is now Venezuela.
- 244 years ago today, British scientist Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen gas, corroborating the prior discovery of this element by German-Swedish chemist Carl Wilhelm Scheele.
- It was on this date in 1834, that Slavery is abolished in the British Empire as the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes into force.
- On August 1, 1855, The first ascent of Monte Rosa, the second highest summit in the Alps.
- Henry Perky patents shredded wheat on this date in 1893.
- 111 years ago today, The start of the first Scout camp on Brownsea Island, the origin of the worldwide Scouting movement.
- That same date in 1911, Harriet Quimby takes her pilot’s test and becomes the first U.S. woman to earn an Aero Club of America aviator’s certificate.
- It was also this date in 1936 that The Olympics opened in Berlin with a ceremony presided over by Adolf Hitler.
- August 1, 1957, The United States and Canada form the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).
- The Concert for Bangladesh, organized by former Beatle George Harrison, is held at Madison Square Garden in New York City on this date in 1971.
- 37 years ago today, MTV begins broadcasting in the United States and airs its first video, “Video Killed the Radio Star” by The Buggles.
- It was on this date in 1984, that Commercial peat-cutters discover the preserved bog body of a man, called Lindow Man, at Lindow Moss, Cheshire, England.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American soldier, explorer, and politician, 4th Governor of Missouri Territory, William Clark, born on this date in 1770.
- Born August 1, 1779, American lawyer, author, and poet Francis Scott Key.
- American astronomer and academic, Maria Mitchell, born on this date in 1818.
- Born August 1, 1819, American novelist, short story writer, and poet Herman Melville.
- Walter Gerlach, German physicist and academic was born on that same date in 1889.
- American actor, singer, director, and producer, Dom DeLuise was born 85 years ago today.
- Yves Saint Laurent, Algerian-French fashion designer, co-founded Yves Saint Laurent was born on that same date in 1936.
- Born August 1, 1942, American singer-songwriter and guitarist Jerry Garcia.
- Also turning 72 today is American colonel, pilot, and astronaut Richard O. Covey.
- Japanese astronaut and engineer, Koichi Wakata is 55 today.
- Also turning 39 today is American actor, director, and producer Jason Momoa.
- 04 – Clark & Diana (Awesome people and the kids of Gary from Jacksonville)
- 06 – Julie Tomasi
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 1, 2018
- There Is Now Just One Blockbuster Left in the US
- Supermassive Black Hole Stretches Starlight, Proving Einstein Right Again
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Teen Burglar Breaks Into Home, Asks Sleeping Couple for Wifi: Police
- Vaping Pilot
- Burglar gets stuck in Escape Room and calls 911
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike Wills|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast. This week’s topic – your TV guilty pleasure.
A Question of the week:
- What is the title for your ideal TV show pilot?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five