Coming up in this episode…
- Harlan Ellison
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Shout out to Jolene at the massage clinic
- If money were no object, what ONE feature would you want in your dream home?
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org: I’d like my dream house to have a Holodeck.
On This Day In History for July 4, 2018
This is the 185th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 180 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1054, that A supernova, called SN 1054, is seen by Chinese Song dynasty, Arab, and possibly Amerindian observers near the star Zeta Tauri. For several months it remains bright enough to be seen during the day. Its remnants form the Crab Nebula.
- The Louisiana Purchase is announced to the American people on this date in 1803.
- It was also this date in 1817 that In Rome, New York, construction on the Erie Canal begins.
- On July 4, 1837, Grand Junction Railway, the world’s first long-distance railway, opens between Birmingham and Liverpool.
- It was on this date in 1845, that Henry David Thoreau moves into a small cabin on Walden Pond in Concord, Massachusetts. Thoreau’s account of his two years there, Walden, will become a touchstone of the environmental movement.
- It was also this date in 1855 that The first edition of Walt Whitman’s book of poems, Leaves of Grass, is published In Brooklyn.
- On July 4, 1862, Lewis Carroll tells Alice Liddell a story that would grow into Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and its sequels.
- Also today in 1886, The first scheduled Canadian transcontinental train arrives in Port Moody, British Columbia.
- Also on July 4, 1892, Western Samoa changes the International Date Line, causing Monday (July 4) to occur twice, resulting in a year with 367 days.
- It was 126 years ago today, that The first double-decked street car service was inaugurated in San Diego, California.
- It was also this date in 1914 that The funeral of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie takes place in Vienna, six days after their assassinations in Sarajevo.
- Also today in 1927, First flight of the Lockheed Vega.
- It was also this date in 1934 that Leo Szilard patents the chain-reaction design that would later be used in the atomic bomb.
- Also on July 4, 1951, William Shockley announces the invention of the junction transistor.
- 57 years ago today, On its maiden voyage, the Soviet nuclear-powered submarine K-19 suffers a complete loss of coolant to its reactor. The crew are able to effect repairs, but 22 of them die of radiation poisoning over the following two years.
- It was also this date in 1997 that NASA’s Pathfinder space probe lands on the surface of Mars.
- Also today in 1998, Japan launches the Nozomi probe to Mars, joining the United States and Russia as a space exploring nation.
- It was 13 years ago today, that The Deep Impact collider hits the comet Tempel 1.
- On July 4, 2012, The discovery of particles consistent with the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider is announced at CERN.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French inventor, best known as a pioneer in balloon flight, Jean-Pierre Blanchard, born on this date in 1753.
- George Everest, the Welsh geographer and surveyor was born 228 years ago today.
- American novelist and short story writer, Nathaniel Hawthorne was born 214 years ago today.
- Born July 4, 1816, American businessman, founded Canadian club whiskey Hiram Walker.
- James Anthony Bailey, the American circus ringmaster, co-founded Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus was born 171 years ago today.
- American astronomer and academic, Henrietta Swan Leavitt, born on this date in 1868.
- Ulysses S. Grant III, the American general was born 137 years ago today.
- American chemist and meteorologist, Vincent Schaefer, born on this date in 1906.
- American lawyer, journalist, and author, Geraldo Rivera is 75 today.
- Also turning 57 today is English-American video game designer, created the Ultima series Richard Garriott.
- 04 – Mike McBride
- 06 – Peter(1982, Sweden)
- 08 – Trampas Whiteman (aka Dragonhelm)
- 08 – Mark Lee (aka geekdad72) Stardate -351519.09
- 08 – Alan Ralph (a.k.a. MonTemplar)
- 10 – KHD a.k.a. The Devin
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 4, 2018
- Harlan Ellison Dead: Sci-Fi Writer Was 84 – Variety
- RIP Asimo, You Useless Robotic Honda Ad
- SpaceX Will Send an AI Robot To Join Astronauts On ISS – Slashdot
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- Incredible Website Shows Amsterdam’s History Through 700,000 Pieces of Old Garbage
- This Futuristic Solar Power Plant From 1923 Was Supposed to Light Up the World
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Mega Podtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||John Miller Jr.|
|Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- If you were to change your name to a number, what number would you choose?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five