Coming up in this episode…
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Fritz-Ulrich SiewertHello Chuck and Kreg,
I‘m a little late with my suggestion, but there is already a beer here in Germany with a nerdy name: “Bit Sun”. 🙂
Thank you for making me smile on my commute to work on the Autobahn,
Fritz from Germany
- What is your favorite quote?
On This Day In History for May 2, 2018
This is the 122nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 243 days remaining in 2018.
- It was on this date in 1611, that The King James Version of the Bible is published for the first time in London, England, by printer Robert Barker.
- 112 years ago today, Closing ceremony of the Intercalated Games in Athens, Greece.
- Also on May 2, 1918, General Motors acquires the Chevrolet Motor Company of Delaware.
- It was on this date in 1920, that The first game of the Negro National League baseball is played in Indianapolis.
- That same date in 1952, The world’s first ever jet airliner, the De Havilland Comet 1 makes its maiden flight, from London to Johannesburg.
- It was on this date in 1969, that The British ocean liner Queen Elizabeth 2 departs on her maiden voyage to New York City.
- The City of Chernobyl is evacuated six days after the nuclear power plant disaster on this date in 1986.
- Also on May 2, 2000, President Bill Clinton announces that accurate GPS access would no longer be restricted to the United States military.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English historian and topographer, William Camden, born on this date in 1551.
- Italian composer, Alessandro Scarlatti was born 358 years ago today.
- Canadian physician and geologist, Abraham Pineo Gesner, born on this date in 1797.
- German chemist and physicist, Heinrich Gustav Magnus was born 216 years ago today.
- Désiré Charnay, French archaeologist and photographer was born on that same date in 1828.
- E. E. Smith, the American engineer and author was born 128 years ago today.
- German captain and pilot, Manfred von Richthofen was born 126 years ago today.
- Indian archaeologist, B. B. Lal is 97 today.
- Also born on that same date in 1939, Japanese physicist and engineer, Sumio Iijima.
- Also turning 68 today is English chemist and academic Simon Gaskell.
Listener birthdays this week
- 03 – Keao Wright
- 03 – Leon
- 05 – Joe Mieczkowski host of Onthepodcast
- 06 – Amber Pace (not really a listener, but a mother and a wife of listeners)
- 06 – Bill Barbour
- 06 – Steve Bickle
- 08 – Curtis Parish
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for May 2, 2018
- Uranus Smells Like Rotten Eggs
- Robot-launched weather balloons in Alaska hasten demise of remote stations | Science | AAAS
- Someday, every piece of a person will be replaceable
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Well That’s Comforting: Hackers Make $300 Tool That Can Open Almost Any Hotel Electronic Lock – Geekologie
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls|
|Megapodtastic||Nightgig Studios||Gary Lindros||John Clifford|
|Leon||John Noble||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Jorge Schrauwen||Your Name Here!|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- In what way has Science Gone Too Far? [Pic]
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Visit our Amazon page for recommended books, toys, and other fun stuff!
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five