Coming up in this episode…
- Tape Cartridges
- The Army
- Keep Momma Happy
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Postcard from Jorge
- Poster from Weber Baker
- Q of the W: What would you build with some of the small computers like Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, etc?
- Paul Puri: Minecraft server
- Krishna Sadasivam: Retro pie- homebrew arcade emulator. I just went through that process recently. The Raspberry Pi 3 can play MAME games, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Colecovision and more. I’ve tested Colecovision games and it works perfectly. Make sure to pick up a USB controller.
- Brad Miller: I have about a dozen (but I think the Pi Zero W is more amazing). Things I have build: Kodi entertainment center, MAME emulator station, 433 Mhz light controller, OpenVPN server, wifi router, OpenVPN house router, wireless security camera, inbound remote access device.
- Nate Welch: ut Octoprint on it for my 3D printer. Or set it up as a IoT Bluetooth collector.
- Tiffany Van Boxtel: A Nintendo/Super Nintendo emulator would be pretty sweet.
- Daniel T. Smith: Emulation Station
- Dominic Cardea: I would hook up a squirtgun by the door that targets the dog barking when I come home – an there would be a big “NO!” In my voice.
- Fred Van West: Open HAB server. Or maybe a dish for Walder Frey
- Myron Dupler: Home automation with non-lethal intruder response
- Mark McCoy: Octoprint 3d Print Server
- Jorge Schrauwen: Add a ublox GPS via USB (make sure it has PPS) run FreeBSD on it and build a accurate time server!
- Gary Lindros: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
- C.A. Sizemore: A K9
- Wil Jakeway: sega genesis emulator and put it into a broken sega genesis 2 that i have laying around.
On This Day In History for August 9, 2017
This is the 221st day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 144 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 48 BC, that Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt in the Battle of Pharsalus as part of Caesar’s Civil War.
- Construction of the Campanile of the Cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins on this date in 1173; it will take two centuries to complete.
- That same date in 1854, Henry David Thoreau published Walden.
- Also today in 1892, Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- It was 87 years ago today, that Betty Boop makes her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- Also on August 9, 1936, during the Summer Olympic Games of the XI Olympiad: Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal.
- Also today in 1942, Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces, launching the Quit India Movement.
- On August 9, 1944, The United States Forest Service and the Wartime Advertising Council release posters featuring Smokey Bear for the first time.
- It was also this date in 1965 that Singapore is expelled from Malaysia and becomes the only country to date to gain independence unwillingly.
- Followers led by Charles Manson murder pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of Roman Polanski), coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish actor Wojciech Frykowski, men’s hairstylist Jay Sebring and recent high-school graduate Steven Parent on this date in 1969.
- Also today in 1974, as a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian mathematician, Francesco Barozzi, born on this date in 1537.
- Francesco Cetti, the Italian scientist was born 291 years ago today.
- Amedeo Avogadro, Italian scientist was born on that same date in 1776.
- Astronomer, Dorothea Klumpke, born on this date in 1861.
- Born August 9, 1896, German physical chemist known for the Debye-Hückel Theory and the Hückel method Erich Hückel.
- Jean Piaget, Swiss psychologist, biologist, logician, philosopher & academic was born on that same date in 1896.
- American nuclear physicist, William Alfred Fowler, born on this date in 1911.
- Wilbur Norman Christiansen, the A pioneer Australian radio astronomer and Electrical engineer was born 104 years ago today.
- Born August 9, 1918, bombardier who dropped atomic bomb on Nagasaki Kermit Beahan.
- American computer scientist, David A. Huffman was born 92 years ago today.
- Also turning 77 today is American mathematician Linda Keen.
- Also born on that same date in 1944, actor, Sam Elliott.
- American singer, actress, model, and record producer, Whitney Houston was born 54 years ago today.
- 09 – Julia Posz – (Technorama Promo)
- 10 – Sam Martin
- 11 – Steve Wozniak
- 11 – David Brewer (Tyrion The Imp)
- 13 – Christine Fiore MegaPodzilla
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for (date)
- 9-year-old applies for alien-fighting job, NASA responds | Fox News
- Tape Cartridge Could Store 330 Terabytes
- Army to stop using off the shelf drones
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Boeing 787 Drew A Giant GPS Picture Of Itself Above The US – Geekologie
- People Are Immortalizing Their Dead Loves Ones in Stuffed Animals
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Avner Braverman||Ben Vaughan||Mike WIlls||Leon|
|John Noble||Amy Bowen||Chris MC||Alexis Duran|
|Saturday Morning Media||Steve Therrien||Kyle Nishioka||Dennis Patnaude|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons!
- Marvel’s How-to-Draw Variant Covers Are Fun, But Gwenpool’s Is the Best
- Angry Mom Accidentally Texts 35-Year-Old Guy Instead Of Her Daughter, And Things Escalate Quickly | Bored Panda
Question of the week:
- What TV show is widely popular that you cannot stand?
End of Show Stuff
See you at DragonCon in Atlanta
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five