Coming up in this episode…
- The Old Interweb
- Mice Brains
- Speaking Klingon
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- From Jorge: Snores? Or smores not sure on the spelling. Tootsie rolls/pops?
- Voicemail: Mike from Des Moines!
On This Day In History for April 12, 2017
This is the 102nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 263 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1606, that The Union Flag is adopted as the flag of English and Scottish ships..
- The Bremen, a German Junkers W 33 type aircraft, takes off for the first successful transatlantic aeroplane flight from east to west. on this date in 1928.
- 80 years ago today, Sir Frank Whittle ground-tests the first jet engine designed to power an aircraft, at Rugby, England..
- April 12, 1945, U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dies in office; Vice President Harry Truman, becomes President upon Roosevelt’s death.
- On April 12, 1955, The polio vaccine, developed by Dr. Jonas Salk, is declared safe and effective..
- April 12, 1961, The Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the first human to travel into outer space and perform the first manned orbital flight, Vostok 1..
- That same date in 1981, The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission..
- On April 12, 1992, The Euro Disney Resort officially opens with its theme park Euro Disneyland; the resort and its park’s name are subsequently changed to Disneyland Paris..
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- mathematician, soldier, engineering professor, Germinal Pierre Dandelin, born on this date in 1794.
- Nikolay Przhevalsky, Russian geographer was born on that same date in 1839.
- Edward Walter Maunder, the English astronomer studying sunspots was born 166 years ago today.
- Ferdinand von Lindemann, German Mathematician was born on that same date in 1852.
- American photographer, Imogen Cunningham was born 134 years ago today.
- Otto Fritz Meyerhof, German biochemist was born on that same date in 1884.
- British automobile designer, Cecil Kimber, born on this date in 1888.
- Suez Canal nationalization Engineer., Mahmoud Younis was born 106 years ago today.
- American writer of children’s books, Beverly Cleary, born on this date in 1916.
- Born April 12, 1925, British animator, puppeteer and writer Oliver Postgate.
- Also turning 92 today is American computer scientist. Designed one of the first word processors. Evelyn Berezin.
- Soviet cosmonaut and test pilot, Igor Volk, born on this date in 1937.
- American pianist, keyboardist, bandleader and composer, Herbie Hancock is 77 today.
- American actor, Ed O’Neill, born on this date in 1946.
- Also born on that same date in 1947, American comedian and actor, David Letterman.
- American author, Tom Clancy, born on this date in 1947.
- American actor and musician, David Cassidy is 67 today.
- 04 – Brian K – My Blog
- 04 – Joel McLaughlin (aka Gorkon)
- 05 – Chad Davis, Jon Issler (hsteckylf)
- 05 – Griffin Sylvester (Ildreancipher)
- 05 – Martine Tysmans – citytrips, travelling, jokes… (in Dutch)
- 05 – Ringmaster Greg from Dancing With Elephants
- 06 – Trevor Litecky (future Geek)
- 07 – P.C. Haring
- 12 – Rob Hilton
- 14 – Danny Harnish
- 16 – Donna Tomasi
- 18 – Skaifey (Anthony)
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for April 12, 2017
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- 8-Year-Old “Mowgli Girl” Found Living with Monkeys in Indian Jungle | Oddity Central – Collecting Oddities
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET on Facebook. Go to Join our page and get notified automatically. Join us on the live chat!
- I Surfed the Wholesome Web of the 1990s at This Historically Accurate Internet Cafe – Motherboard
- How the IBM 1403 Printer Hammered Out 1,100 Lines Per Minute – IEEE Spectrum
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman||Leon|
|John Noble||Brad P from NJ|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
- Saw the first Episode of MST3K (New Version)
Question of the week:
- If you could erase one movie from your memory and rewatch it, what would you choose?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five