Coming up in this episode…
- Future of the Internet
- Old Gamers
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Postcard from Jorge
- Nothing this week – thank you for all the likes and shares on the last video! Keep up the good work
On This Day In History for January 18, 2017
This is the 18th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 347 days remaining in 2017.
- It was on this date in 1535, that Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro founded Lima, the capital of Peru.
- Also on January 18, 1778, James Cook is the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the “Sandwich Islands”.
- It was on this date in 1788, that the first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from Great Britain to Australia arrive at Botany Bay.
- 133 years ago today, Dr. William Price attempts to cremate the body of his infant son, Jesus Christ Price, setting a legal precedent for cremation in the United Kingdom.
- January 18, 1896, an X-ray generating machine is exhibited for the first time by H. L. Smith.
- Also on January 18, 1903, a transmitter in Wellfleet, Massachusetts sends the first transatlantic radio transmission to originate in the United States.
- It was 40 years ago today, that scientists identify a previously unknown bacterium as the cause of the mysterious Legionnaires’ disease.
- Also today in 2005, that the Airbus A380, the world’s largest commercial jet, is unveiled at a ceremony in Toulouse, France.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American assistant to Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas A. Watson, born on this date in 1854.
- Oliver Hardy, the American actor and comedian was born 125 years ago today.
- English-American actor, Cary Grant was born 113 years ago today.
- American actor, singer, and dancer, Danny Kaye, born on this date in 1911.
- Ray Dolby, the American engineer and businessman, founded Dolby Laboratories was born 84 years ago today.
- 19 – Jeff Powers
- 19 – Michael Hickerson
- 21 – Michael Rabalais – Stingray42
- 21 – Tom Posz
- 22 – TAW012294
- 22 – Jason Tucker
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- 23 – Keith Lane from TGGeeks
- 24 – Cynthia Fry
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 18, 2017
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Go to http://www.chuckchat.com/technorama/webcam. Join us on the live chat!
- Exceptionally Rare Photograph of Lincoln’s First Inauguration Will Go on Display Today
- My Grandpa and his Asheron’s Call – YouTube
- Watching David Bowie Argue With an Interviewer About the Future of the Internet Is Beautiful
hank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman||Leon|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- Why? Why do you do what you do?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are on the Social Interwebs…
- Search for Technorama Podcast on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, etc
- You can help support us:
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or even a review on the iTunes music store.
- Links to the articles and items referenced in the show can be found on our website
Also Thanks to
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us to watch live on Facebook!
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five