Featured in this episode:
- NASA’s new satellite plan
- Awesome photos of old computer equipment
- Star Trek random facts, E.T.’s phone bill, and more.
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Congratulations to Paul (P.C.) and Jen Haring on their wedding!
- Jorge: Lame superpowers – Bit Flip man. He flips one random bit of your data.
On This Day In History for November 16, 2016
This is the 320th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 45 days remaining in 2016.
- It was on this date in 1822, that Missouri trader William Becknell arrives in Santa Fe, New Mexico, over a route that became known as the Santa Fe Trail.
- Also on November 16, 1852, the English astronomer John Russell Hind discovers the asteroid 22 Kalliope.
- It was also this date in 1855 that David Livingstone becomes the first European to see the Victoria Falls in what is now present-day Zambia-Zimbabwe.
- It was 112 years ago today, that English engineer John Ambrose Fleming receives a patent for the thermionic valve (vacuum tube).
- That same date in 1907, Cunard Line’s RMS Mauretania, sister ship of RMS Lusitania, sets sail on her maiden voyage from Liverpool, England, to New York City.
- It was 96 years ago today, that Qantas, Australia’s national airline, is founded as Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited.
- It was on this date in 1938, that LSD is first synthesized by Albert Hofmann from ergotamine at the Sandoz Laboratories in Basel..
- That same date in 1965, the Soviet Union launches the Venera 3 space probe toward Venus, which will be the first spacecraft to reach the surface of another planet.
- It was also this date in 1973 that NASA launches Skylab 4 with a crew of three astronauts from Cape Canaveral, Florida for an 84-day mission.
- November 16, 1974, The Arecibo message is broadcast from the Arecibo Radio Telescope in Puerto Rico. It was aimed at the current location of the globular star cluster Messier 13 some 25,000 light years away. The message will reach empty space by the time it finally arrives since the cluster will have changed position.
- Pop group Milli Vanilli are stripped of their Grammy Award because the duo did not sing at all on the Girl You Know It’s True album. Session musicians had provided all the vocals on this date in 1990.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Roman emperor, Tiberius, born on this date in -42.
- Born November 16, 1717, French mathematician, physicist, and philosopher Jean le Rond d’Alembert.
- Kalākaua of Hawaii was born 180 years ago today.
- Burgess Meredith, the American actor, singer, director, producer, and screenwriter was born 109 years ago today.
- Born November 16, 1916, American voice actor and singer Daws Butler.
- American computer scientist, physicist, and engineer, founded the Amdahl Corporation, Gene Amdahl was born 94 years ago today.
- Born November 16, 1948, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and actor (Eagles) Glenn Frey.
- Also turning 39 today is Australian singer-songwriter and actress Gigi Edgley.
Listener Birthdays (Nov 16-22)
- 16 – Tim Elliott (from Winecast)
- 17 – Mike Smith of The Mike Tech Show
- 17 – Lorrie Mennenga
- 19 – Laura Burns
- 22 – Tom Posz – (from California, USA)
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 16, 2016
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
What us live every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Go to our Facebook page (Technorama Podcast). Join us on the live broadcast and chat!
- Great old photos of old computing equipment – Thanks Keith Lane!
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel||Amy Bowen||Avner Braverman||Leon|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Question of the week:
- What is your one favorite tech device and what is one thing you wish you could wave a magic wand and make it do?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write a review on iTunes
- Thank you live viewers on Facebook
- Thank you podcast listeners
- You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and our website http://www.chuckchat.com/technorama
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five