Coming up in this episode…
- Wipe your hard drive
- Russian Batman
- The Floppotron
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- No feedback – call us on the listener line, leave us an email, etc. We want to hear from you!
- Jack’s clip
- Tiffany’s clip
- Thank you Laura and Brianna for the NASA patch and bit of space blanket
On This Day In History for July 13, 2016
This is the 195th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 171 days remaining in 2016.
This date is slightly more likely to fall on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday (58 in 400 years each) then on Saturday or Sunday (57), and slightly less likely to occur on a Tuesday or Thursday (56).
- It was on this date in 1919 that The British airship R34 lands in Norfolk, England, completing the first airship return journey across the Atlantic in 182 hours of flight.
- That same date in 1923, The Hollywood Sign is officially dedicated in the hills above Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. It originally reads “Hollywoodland ” but the four last letters are dropped after renovation in 1949.
- Also today in 1973, Alexander Butterfield reveals the existence of the “Nixon tapes” to the special Senate committee investigating the Watergate break-in.
- 39 years ago today, in New York City, amidst a period of financial and social turmoil experiences an electrical blackout lasting nearly 24 hours that leads to widespread fires and looting.
- Also today in 1985, The Live Aid benefit concert takes place in London and Philadelphia, as well as other venues such as Sydney and Moscow.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English-Welsh mathematician, astronomer, and astrologer, John Dee, born on this date in 1527
- John Jacob Astor IV, American colonel and businessman was born today in 1864
- The man who played Colonel Hogan on Hogan’s Heros, actor Bob Crane was born today in 1928.
- Canadian-French astrophysicist and author Hubert Reeves is 84 today
- It’s also the 82nd birthday of Russian Engineer and Astronaut, Aleksei Yeliseyev
- Star Trek birthday – Sir Patrick Stewart is 76
- Star Wars birthday – Harrison Ford is 74 (that rhymes!)
- The man who consumed too much of my younger years because he invented a silly colored cube which bears his name: Ernő Rubik is 72.
- Cheech Marin is 70
- and our final celebrity birthday goes out to Astronomer and Astronaut George Nelson who turns 66.
From our wonderful listener birthday calendar…
- Friend of the show and frequent Technorama guest, Ben Ragunton is today, July 13.
- Long time listener Brian Witt’s mom Joan is on the 14th
- Also on the 14th is Matthew Wayne Selznick
- July 18th is Lord Doomicus
- And finally, another long time friend of the show, Nikolai from Dancing with Elephants podcast!
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Don’t forget, today is Embrace your geekness day – Some people are ashamed of their inner geek – they are afraid to be stereotyped as antisocial, and have an innate fear of fixing things for others. But on this day you can cast away your fears and embrace your desire to defrag your computer drive. Who knows, by the end of the day, you too may have an appreciation for the geek culture.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 13, 2016
- Man retrieves GoPro after two years and gets a killer shot of the Earth
- Wipe your hard drive before selling your computer!
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout. If you think you’ll miss the announcement on FB, Twitter, etc. go to http://bit.ly/TechnoramaLive. If we’re not there, you’ll catch the back shows.
Thank you Patrons!
This show is brought to you by… YOU! Thank you to our Patrons who enable us to keep the show running and bring you special episodes.
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chris MC||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn||Dennis Patnaude|
|Nick St. Gabriel|
If you want to become a patron, visit https://patreon.com/technoramapodcast. We’ve got various levels of donations and in return we have various patron packages including a special “after show” we record just for the patrons! patreon.com/technoramapodcast.
Patreon topic this week: Pokemon Go!
- Real life Russian Batman
- The Floppotron – The ultimate Star Wars on Floppy Drives
- 64 floppy drives, 8×8 channel controllers
- 8 hard drives 4×2 channel controllers
- 2 scanners, 2 controllers
Question of the week:
- What’s the last book you read or listened to?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428) 707-530-CHAT(2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five