Coming up in this episode…
- Prime Numbers
- Mechanical Body parts
- Car Spoiler Spoiler
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
On This Day In History for January 27, 2016
This is the 27th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 339 days remaining in 2016.
- It was on this date in 1606 as part of the Gunpowder Plot: The trial of Guy Fawkes and other conspirators begins, ending with their execution on January 31.
- The University of Georgia is founded, the first public university in the United States on this date in 1785.
- It was 136 years ago today that Thomas Edison receives the patent on the incandescent lamp.
- January 27, 1888, The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C.
- It was 77 years ago today that saw the first flight of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.
- Nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site begins with a one-kiloton bomb dropped on Frenchman Flat on this date in 1951.
- 49 years ago today, Astronauts Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee are killed in a fire during a test of their Apollo 1 spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
- That same date in 1967, The United States, United Kingdom, and Soviet Union sign the Outer Space Treaty in Washington, D.C., banning deployment of nuclear weapons in space, and limiting use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes.
- 32 years ago today, Pop singer Michael Jackson suffers second degree burns to his scalp during the filming of a Pepsi commercial in the Shrine Auditorium.
- That same date in 1996, Germany first observes International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- 13 years ago today, The first selections for the National Recording Registry are announced by the Library of Congress.
- January 27, 2006, Western Union discontinues its Telegram and Commercial Messaging services.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- American Engineer and inventor of the Mortise lock, Eli Whitney Blake, born on this date in 1795.
- Also born on this date in 1832, English mathematician, photographer, and author, Lewis Carroll.
- Francis Rogallo, the American engineer and inventor of the Rogallo wing, was born today in 1912.
- Actress Donna Reed was born on this date in 1921.
- The man who played Zephram Cochrane in Star Trek First Contact, James Cromwell is 76.
- and finally, Russian dancer, choreographer, and actor, Mikhail Baryshnikov is 68.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for January 27, 2016
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 21 – Michael Rabalais – Stingray42
- 22 – TAW012294
- 23 – Kathie Luke, IL
- 23 – Chris Moody from PodioMedia Chat
- 23 – Keith Lane from TGGeeks
- 25 – Kreg Steppe
- 26 – Will The Computer Guy
- 27 – Mark in Memphis
- 27 – Chip Burkhead from The Scotchcast
- 01 – Matt Baum aka Racer X, Pittsburgh PA
- 01 – Brandon Kirkwold – MN
- 02 – Gary Lindros – aka Gary from Jacksonville
- 02 – Chuck Provenzano aka podlurker aka Chuck’s evil twin
- 02 – Oreo Cookie Monster
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Iron Man suit built in backyard workshop by Canberra dad on a mission to make sick children smile
- Boy Gets 3D Printed Bionic Arm From Darth Vader [Video]
- The World’s Largest Rubik’s Cube Has More Than 2900 Squares | Mental Floss
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
Thank you Patrons!
|Kyle Nishioka||Mike Wills||Steve Therrien||Saturday Morning Media|
|Chad D||Alexis Duran||Ben Vaughn|
- Outtakes from Kylo Ren’s Undercover Boss
- Driver irks ‘Star Wars’ fans with spoiler on truck window – UPI.com – Wrong Wrong Wrong!
Question of the week:
- What geek book SHOULD you read for geek points, but know you never will?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment on Patreon!
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five