Coming up in this episode…
- Vader’s Grandmother Dies
- Stop playing with your Food
- Fakin’ Bacon
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- What video game would you like to see remade/rebooted/remastered?
- Scott: Donkey Kong
- Weber: Zork, still with no graphics
- Dan: E.T.
- Tom: Centipede
- Suzette: Candy Crush Saga
- Lisa: Asteroids
- Michelle: Turok Dino Hunter
On This Day In History for July 22, 2015
This is the 203rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 162 days in 2015.
- It was on this date in 1793 that Alexander Mackenzie reaches the Pacific Ocean becoming the first recorded human to complete a transcontinental crossing of Canada.
- July 22, 1796, Surveyors of the Connecticut Land Company name an area in Ohio “Cleveland” after Gen. Moses Cleaveland, the superintendent of the surveying party.
- The first ever motor race is held in France between the cities of Paris and Rouen. The fastest finisher was the Comte Jules-Albert de Dion, but the ‘official’ victory was awarded to Albert Lemaître driving his 3 hp petrol engined Peugeot 121 years ago today.
- Outside Chicago’s Biograph Theater, “Public Enemy No. 1” John Dillinger is mortally wounded by FBI agents 81 years ago today.
- July 22, 1951, Dezik (Дезик) and Tsygan (Цыган, “Gypsy”) are the first dogs to make a suborbital flight.
- It was 53 years ago today that Mariner program: Mariner 1 spacecraft flies erratically several minutes after launch and has to be destroyed.
- 24 years ago today, Jeffrey Dahmer is arrested in Milwaukee after police discover human remains in his apartment.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- German-Russian physicist Georg Wilhelm Richmann, born on this date in 1711.
- Also born today in 1887, Gustav Ludwig Hertz, the German physicist and academic
- He celebrates his 75th birthday today and hosts the popular TV show Jeopardy…
- Who is Alex Trebek.
- That is correct.
- I’ll take famous birthdays for 400.
- George Clinton, the American singer-songwriter, producer, and actor turns 74.
- Actor, director, and producer Danny Glover is 69 today.
- Turning 68 today, singer-songwriter and drummer for the Eagles, Don Henley
- Actor Willem Dafoe turns 60.
- Another actor, David Spade turns 51.
- and finally, actor, director and producer Colin Ferguson turns 43.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 22, 2015
- Seaweed bacon substitute? – Brian Brown
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 23 – Dave Perillo, MegaPodzilla and Montygog’s Art-O-Rama!
- 25 – Mur Lafferty
- 26 – Aaron Heath (Adelaide, Australia)
- 26 – Adam Christianson
- 27 – Wife of Will The Computer Guy
If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
- A hitchhiking robot needs your help getting to California
- Don’t try this on your next trip
- The next recording label? – Tortilla Flats
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
Question of the week:
- Which book have you owned the longest?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five