Coming up in this episode…
- Good News and Bad News from Back to the Future
- The places valuable old things show up
- Leave it to Belgium!
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
- What tech term needs to die?
- John R Miller – Email
- Edward Chase – The Cloud
- Mark Sheppard – Phablet and Cyber
On This Day In History for June 17, 2015
This is the 168th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 197 days remaining in 2015.
- It was on this date in 1579 that Sir Francis Drake claims a land he calls Nova Albion (modern California) for England.
- 419 years ago The Dutch explorer Willem Barentsz discovers the Arctic archipelago of Spitsbergen.
- Today in 1631, Mumtaz Mahal died during childbirth. Her husband, Mughal emperor Shah Jahan I, will spend the next 17 years building her mausoleum, the Taj Mahal.
- Also today in 1673, French explorers Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet reach the Mississippi River and become the first Europeans to make a detailed account of its course.
- It was 242 years ago today that Cúcuta, Colombia, is discovered by Juana Rangel de Cuéllar.
- 176 years ago today, In the Kingdom of Hawaii, Kamehameha III issues the edict of toleration which gives Roman Catholics the freedom to worship in the Hawaiian Islands. The Hawaii Catholic Church and the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace are established as a result.
- June 17, 1885, The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York Harbor.
- Last public guillotining in France: Eugen Weidmann, a convicted murderer, is guillotined in Versailles outside the Saint-Pierre prison 76 years ago today.
- Also today in 1940, The three Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania fall under the occupation of the Soviet Union.
- It was 71 years ago today that Iceland declares independence from Denmark and becomes a republic.
- 52 years ago, The United States Supreme Court rules 8–1 in Abington School District v. Schempp against requiring the reciting of Bible verses and the Lord’s Prayer in public schools.
- Also today in 1967, The People’s Republic of China announces a successful test of its first thermonuclear weapon.
- STS-51-G Space Shuttle Discovery launches carrying Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the first Arab and first Muslim in space, as a Payload Specialist on this date in 1985.
- It was 21 years ago today that Following a televised low-speed highway chase, O.J. Simpson is arrested for the murders of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- French astronomer and cartographer César-François Cassini de Thury born on this date in 1714.
- Also born on this date in 1800, the 3rd Earl of Rosse and Anglo-Irish astronomer, William Parsons/
- An inventor who receives far less credit than is due, Ruth Graves Wakefield would have been 112 today, she is credited with creating the chocolate chip cookie.
- Armenian chess player Tigran Petrosian was born June 17, 1929.
- American engineer of many aircraft innovations, Burt Rutan turns 72 today.
- and our lovable Rory from Doctor Who, actor Arthur Darvill is 33.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 15, 2015
- 15 year old boy finds a new planet
- Belgium comes up with walking lanes for people texting
- A sad goodbye to Christopher Lee
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 17 – Digital Dan from the Hook Show
- 18 – Luke (platypuss72) from UK
- 18 – Xianfox from Appleton
- 19 – Steven (sphen603) from Wichita, Kansas
- 20 – Heather Welliver
- 21 – Ascii Adam from the Hook Show
- 22 – Lance Heath
- 22 – Jack Stevens
- 22 – Chris Martinez (Scotland)
- 22 – J.R. Murdock
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Original Star Wars script shows up in Canada library
- Sense8 (if we have time)
- Jurassic World
- Chris Pratt Dinosaurs Prank (SA Wardega) – YouTube
Question of the week:
- What is the worst comic book (or superhero) character name?
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five