Coming up in this episode and not necessarily related…
- Red Skull
- Doctor Who
- Birthday Party Clowns
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- Email – Mark in Memphis:
- When you mentioned in the History segment about Opal Motors and you said your brother had an Opal GT, it brought to mind a bumper sticker I saw on one: When I grow up, I was to be a Corvette Always wanted one… Have a marvy day, MiM
- Email – Doug in AU:
- Just looking at the list of every time travel movie – they have the American remake (just visiting) of the visitors (french movie) – have you ever seen the original French version ?
- VM – Trampas: Delorean-copter
- VM – Trampas: Delorean-copter
On This Day In History for February 11, 2015
Today is the 42nd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 323 days remaining in 2015.
- It was on this date in 1808 that Jesse Fell burns anthracite on an open grate as an experiment in heating homes with coal.
- February 11, 1916, Emma Goldman is arrested for lecturing on birth control.
- Also today in 1938, BBC Television produces the world’s first ever science fiction television program, an adaptation of a section of the Karel Čapek play R.U.R., that coined the term “robot”.
- It was 76 years ago today that A Lockheed P-38 Lightning flies from California to New York in 7 hours 2 minutes.
- 18 years ago today, Space Shuttle Discovery is launched on a mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope.
- February 11, 2001, A Dutch programmer launched the Anna Kournikova virus infecting millions of emails via a trick photo of the tennis star.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- English photographer and inventor of the calotype, Henry Fox Talbot, born on this date in 1800.
- Also born on this date in 1839 was American physicist Josiah Willard Gibbs.
- A man who needs no introduction or title to any self-respecting geek, Thomas Edison was born 168 years ago today.
- Hungarian-American physicist, Leó Szilárd was born on this date in 1898.
- Author Sidney Sheldon would have been 98 today
- and finally engineer and astronaut Richard Mastracchio is 55.
Also, don’t forget that today is Inventor’s Day, so go invent something.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 11, 2015
Listener Birthday Calendar
- 11 – Swoopy
- 14 – Douglas E. Welch of Career Opportunities Podcast
- 14 – Darusha Wehm
- 14 – Andrew, the new VP in Illinois
- 15 – Philip from Australia
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Cinderella’s step-sisters may have gotten a bad deal
- Something new for Madame Tussaud – Star Wars scenes
- Studio discussion point from Madmarv: What day would you like to “Groundhog Day” over and over again?
- Madmarv: Saturday at Dragon*Con – It’s the only way to see everything.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five