Coming up in this episode…
- Calvin & Hobbes
- Star Wars
- Carl Sagan on Drugs (Sorta)
Joining us live in the Binary Studio is Michael Mennenga and Tim Adamec
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes.
- Nothing this time – c’mon people!
On This Day In History for October 15, 2014
This is the 288th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 77 days remaining in 2014.
- It was on this date in 1783 – The Montgolfier brothers’ hot air balloon marks the first human ascent, by Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier, (tethered balloon).
- That same date in 1878 – The Edison Electric Light Company begins operation.
- The airship, Graf Zeppelin completes its first transAtlantic flight, landing at Lakehurst, New Jersey on this date in 1928.
- October 15, 1932 – Tata Airlines (later to become Air India) makes its first flight.
- The New York Municipal Airport (later renamed LaGuardia Airport) is dedicated on this date in 1939.
- 63 years ago today, Mexican chemist Luis E. Miramontes conducts the very last step of the first synthesis of norethisterone, the progestin that would later be used in one of the first three oral contraceptives.
- Today in 1953 – British nuclear test Totem 1 detonated at Emu Field, South Australia.
- Fortran, the first modern computer language, is shared with the coding community for the first time 58 years ago.
- 17 years ago today, the first supersonic land speed record is set by Andy Green in ThrustSSC (United Kingdom), exactly 50 years and 1 day after Chuck Yeager first broke the sound barrier in the Earth’s atmosphere.
- That same year, the Cassini probe launches from Cape Canaveral on its way to Saturn.
- and on this date in 2001 – NASA’s Galileo spacecraft passes within 112 miles of Jupiter’s moon Io.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to:
- Italian physicist and mathematician Evangelista Torricelli born on this date in 1608
- American astronomer Asaph Hall born today in 1829
- Also born on this date is Astronomer Jesse L. Greenstein
- Author Mario Puzo, “The GodFather” was born 94 years ago
- Businessman and author Lee Iacocca turns 90 today
- and finally the man who played Spock’s father, actor Mark Lenard, would have been 90 also.
Don’t forget… it’s also Global Handwashing Day
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 15, 2014
Listener Birthday Calendar
- Oct 19 – Russell Pearson (Ninereeds)
- Oct 21 – Daniel Ebdrup Jensen (D. Ebdrup)
- Oct 21 – Justin Diehl (nulloperations)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
Hacks & Strange Stories
Shout out to the chat room
Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
- Read Carl Sagan’s Compelling Pitch For An American TV Show About Drugs
- What did we carve before pumpkins?
- George Lucas didn’t remake ‘Empire Strikes Back,’ you did
- James Earl Jones Will Voice Vader On Star Wars Rebels—And Soon
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the website, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five