In this episode…
- Are itches the same in space?
- You’ve heard of “pirate radio”, now there’s “zombie radio”
- New research shows Facebook IPO can be hazardous to your financial health
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 15 – Chuck Jolley aka nitestarr – (Horn Lake, MS)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
Huge Congratulations to long time listener and fellow podcaster Claudio Miranda! He was married last week to Sandra!
On This Day In History for November 14, 2012
- It was on this date in 1889 that pioneering female journalist Nellie Bly (aka Elizabeth Cochrane) begins a successful attempt to travel around the world in less than 80 days. She completes the trip in seventy-two days.
- Aviator Eugene Ely performs the first take off from a ship in Hampton Roads, Virginia. He took off from a makeshift deck on the USS Birmingham in a Curtiss pusher today in 1910.
- 90 years ago today, the BBC begins radio service in the United Kingdom.
- November 14, 1952 – The first regular UK singles chart published by the New Musical Express.
- American physicist Theodore Maiman is given a patent for his ruby laser systems, the world’s first laser 45 years ago today.
- It was on November 11, 1969 that NASA launches Apollo 12, the second crewed mission to the surface of the Moon.
- Mariner 9 enters orbit around Mars today in 1971.
- 21 years ago today in Royal Oak, Michigan, a fired United States Postal Service employee goes on a shooting rampage, killing four and wounding five before committing suicide – giving us morbid phrase of being stressed out “going postal”
- and on November 11, 2003 – Astronomers Michael E. Brown, Chad Trujillo, and David L. Rabinowitz discover 90377 Sedna, a Trans-Neptunian object.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Leopold Mozart, Austrian composer, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s father born today in 1719.
- Sharing his birthday Mozart’s father, is Ludwig van Beethoven’s father, Johann van Beethoven, born exactly 21 years later in 1740.
- also born on this date in 1765, American inventor Robert Fulton
- another inventor was born today in 1863, Leo Hendrik Baekeland, Flemish-American chemist and inventor of the first synthetic plastic, Bakelite
- First Lady of the United States Mamie Eisenhower was born today in 1896
- The TV producer who brought us such shows as the Gilligan’s Island and The Brady Bunch was born today in 1916 – Happy birthday to Sherwood Schwartz
- American astronaut Edward Higgins White was born today in 1930
- Another American astronaut Fred Haise, who flew aboard Apollo 13, turns 79 today
- and finally, the man who brought us Norton Utilities back in the 80s and 90s, American software engineer, Peter Norton is 69
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for November 14, 2012
- Ninja – Be alert. Your upcoming attack may not go as planned. Use stealth to your advantage.
- Pirate – Booty is on the horizon. Keep after it.
- Robot – Distractions abound. Stay focused on your plan. Strike when they least suspect.
- Superhero – Love is in the air, but you must not let it show. It could be your downfall. Keep your secret safe and revel in it.
- Zombies – Brains
- Scientists name new dinosaur after Lord of the Rings bad guy
- Lawyers have to ruin everything cool. No more calling small humans Hobbits.
- First 3-D photobooth can turn you in to an action figure
- NASA’s “Spot the Station” Will Text or Email You When the Space Station Passes Over Your Home | Open Culture
Hacks & Strange Stories
- TI-84 calculator with color screen surfaces, geeks giddy with anticipation — Engadget
- A Urine Powered Generator : Maker Faire Africa
What the Chuck!
- First: I helped with TV at church Sunday.
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five