Coming up in this episode…
- Spray on socks and hats
- Star Trek back on TV?
- If Woz ran the Apple world
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 10 – Victor Cajiao
- 10 – Garrett Riffal
- 11 – Bruce Barr
- 13 – Jason Schwanz
- 19 – Russell Pearson (Ninereeds)
- 21 – Daniel Ebdrup Jensen (D. Ebdrup)
- 21 – Justin Diehl (nulloperations)22 – Zach – zml2008
- 25 – Mad Marv – spelled “K – Y – L – E” but pronounced “Marv”. Hope that helps.25 – HMNSHLD
- 25 – BritOnTour (Jason)
- 25 – Scott (Minneapolis)
- 28 – Dylan Licata (San Antonio)
- 30 – WolfGeek (Indiana)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for October 24, 2012
This is the 298th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar, there are 68 days remaining in 2012.
- It was on this date in 1851 that William Lassell discovers the moons Umbriel and Ariel (moon) orbiting Uranus.
- That same date in 1861 – The First Transcontinental Telegraph line across the United States is completed, spelling the end for the 18-month-old Pony Express.
- Also on October 24, 1901 – Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
- Orville Wright remains in the air 9 minutes and 45 seconds in a Wright Glider at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina today 101 years ago
- Harry Houdini’s last performance, at the Garrick Theatre in Detroit, Michigan was on this date in 1926.
- It was also today in 1929 known as “Black Thursday” – the infamous stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- The George Washington Bridge opens to public traffic October 24, 1931
- Today in 1946 – A camera on board the V-2 No. 13 rocket takes the first photograph of earth from outer space.
- 65 years ago – Walt Disney testified before the House Un-American Activities Committee, naming Disney employees he believes to be communists.
- 55 years ago – The USAF starts the X-20 Dyna-Soar program.
- Launch of Deep Space 1 comet/asteroid mission was today in 1998
- Concorde makes its last commercial flight just 9 short years ago
- also on this date in 2007 – the first satellite in the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program, Chang’e 1 is launched from Xichang Satellite Launch Center.
- Happy birthday goes out on this date in 1804 to German physicist Wilhelm Eduard Weber
- Also born on this date in 1906 – Russian mathematician Alexander Gelfond
- American aeronautical engineer Frank Piasecki was born today in 1919
- Doctor Stephen R. Covey, American author and speaker would have turned 80 today
- F. Murray Abraham, American actor who played Ru’ofo on Star Trek Insurrection turns 73.
- David Weber, American science fiction and fantasy author celebrates his 60th birthday today.
- and finally, Mindy Newell, American comic book writer is 59
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 24, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- A vest that gives you a hug when you get a Facebook Like
- It’s like airbags for your head!
- Declassified docs show Air Force flying saucer
- The book from the final Doctor Who is available as an eBook
- Could anyone in Star Wars read or write?
What the Chuck!
What the Kreg!
- From Alan Ralph: Ohio State Marching Band Tribute to video games
- Question: Why hasn’t anyone come up with a decent home automation system?
- Remote management
- No ‘host computer’ required
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micropayment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five