Coming up in this episode…
- NASA readies something else for space
- Guess what’s new in the kitchen
- Japan comes out with another first
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 06 – John Deurholt (Jo Dho)
- 09 – Itsuko Rumpke (sounds like IT – SUE – KOE)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for October 3, 2012
- It was on this date in 1778 that British Captain James Cook anchors in Alaska.
- Also on that same date in 1789, George Washington made the first Thanksgiving Day designated by the national government of the United States of America.
- Today in 1849, American author Edgar Allan Poe is found delirious in a gutter in Baltimore, Maryland under mysterious circumstances; it is the last time he is seen in public before his death.
- The last Thursday in November is declared as Thanksgiving Day by President Abraham Lincoln as are Thursdays, November 30, 1865 and November 29, 1866 – that was today in 1863.
- Today in spaceflight – it was 1942 that the first successful launch of a V-2 /A4-rocket from Test Stand VII at Peenemünde, Germany. It is the first man-made object to reach space.
- 60 years ago today the United Kingdom successfully tests a nuclear weapon to become the world’s third nuclear power.
- The Mickey Mouse Club debuts on ABC October 3, 1955
- As part of Project Mercury, the Sigma 7 is launched from Cape Canaveral, with Astronaut Wally Schirra aboard, for a six-orbit, nine-hour flight – that was exactly 50 years ago.
- Today in 1985 – The Space Shuttle Atlantis makes its maiden flight. (Mission STS-51-J)
- and it was today in 1986 – TASCC, a superconducting cyclotron at the Chalk River Laboratories, is officially opened.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Italian physicist Giovanni Battista Beccaria born on this date in 1716
- American astronaut Charles Duke celebrates his 77th birthday today
- Singer/songwriter Chubby Checker turns 71 today
- Pierre Deligne, the Belgian mathematician is 68 today
- and finally singer and guitars from Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham, turns 63
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for October 3, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Liquid Nitrogen + 1500 Ping Pong Balls [Video] – How-To Geek- VIDEO WAS REMOVEDWould you wear a camera all day?
- My prayers are answered – no more lost socks
What the Chuck!
End of Show Stuff
We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email at email@example.com
- We are also on…
- Twitter at @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- on Facebook at the Technorama Page
- And even Google Plus
- Links are in these show notes and on our website
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro-payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store.
Also Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
Tell a friend about Technorama and…
binary high five