In this episode…
- 10 Print “Hello World”
- 20 goto 10
- 30 Rem I Never Run
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
- TJ from PA – Looking for tips on cosplay
- Comicon vs. DragonCon vs Balticon
- Bruce Barr – TRS-80 Model I
- Anonymous – Did we wake you up?
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 17 – Clive Jevons, Baeumenheim German, Kevin (SusietheGeek’s son and Geek in Training)
- 19 – Brian Litecky (blitecky)
- 19 – Matt Rider (The Eagle Scout Geek)
- 20 – Jedi_Kez (aka Brian From Winnipeg)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for August 15, 2012
- It was on this day in 293 BC, that the oldest known Roman temple to Venus is dedicated.
- Today in 1914, a male servant of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright sets fire to the living quarters of the architect’s Wisconsin home, Taliesin, murders seven people and burns the living quarters to the ground.
- The Panama Canal opens to traffic with the transit of the cargo ship SS Ancon on August 15, 1914.
- 77 years ago Will Rogers and Wiley Post are killed after their aircraft develops engine problems during takeoff in Barrow, Alaska.
- On this date in 1965, the Beatles play to nearly 60,000 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City, in an event later seen as marking the birth of stadium rock.
- The Woodstock Music and Art Festival opens 43 years ago today.
- It was August 15, 1971 – President Richard Nixon completes the break from the gold standard by ending convertibility of the United States dollar into gold by foreign investors.
- and on this date in 1977, the Big Ear, a radio telescope operated by Ohio State University as part of the SETI project, receives a radio signal from deep space; the event is named the “Wow! signal” from the notation made by a volunteer on the project.
Happy birthday goes out on this date to
- Napoleon Bonaparte, born today in 1769.
- Also born today in 1863 Russian engineer and mathematician Alexei Krylov
- New Zealand astronomer and mechanical computation designer Leslie Comrie was born on this date in 1893
- August 15, 1896 is the birthday of Russian inventor Leon Theremin
- and finally America astronaut Scott Altman turns 53
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 15, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- 7 ft. long Serenity Model from Legos!
- A Brainwave-Controlled Version of “Pong” | Popular Science
- What is This Abomination?! (Thrift Store Find) – Imgur
- Alf Movie?
- First Vignette From ‘Star Trek Continues’ Fan Series Picks Up Where TOS Left Off | TrekMovie.com
What the Chuck!
- Why do people still say “caught on tape” when everything these days is digital?
- Is it like “turning” out the light? There’s no turning. We don’t use gas.
End of Show Stuff
- Reminder: No show for the next couple weeks. Julie and I will be out of town. Our next show is the live show at Dragon*Con!!!
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five