In this episode…
- The science of science
- What makes our brains so mushy
- The first triangle with four corners
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Happy Birthday to:
- NOBODY! HELP US OUT!!!
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for August 1, 2012
- It was on this date in 1498 that Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to visit what is now Venezuela.
- Also today in 1957, The United States and Canada form the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD).
- MTV begins broadcasting in the United States on 31 years ago today and airs its first video, “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles.
- Commercial peat-cutters discover the preserved bog body of a man, called Lindow Man, at Lindow Moss, Cheshire, northwest England on this date in 1984
- and five years ago today, the I-35W Mississippi River bridge spanning the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, collapses during the evening rush hour.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Roman emperor Claudius, born on this date in 10 BC
- American astronomer Maria Mitchell was also born today in 1818
- Also born today in 1819, “Call me Ishmael”, writer Herman Melville
- Today in 1881 German mathematician Otto Toeplitz was born
- 1889 – Walter Gerlach, German physicist (d. 1979)
- 1933 – Dom DeLuise, American actor and comedian (d. 2009)
- 1942 – Jerry Garcia, American musician (The Grateful Dead) (d. 1995)
- 1946 – Richard O. Covey, American astronaut
- 1963 – Koichi Wakata, Japanese astronaut
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for August 1, 2012
- VM from Bruce Barr
- Nice tip of the hat to Tim Berners-Lee at the Olympics opening ceremony
- Social media clogging up the IOC’s data path
Hacks & Strange Stories
End of Show Stuff
- Don’t forget, we want to see you at Dragon*Con in Atlanta for our live show Friday August 31, 2012. Hilton Room 204. Put it on your calendar – now!
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five