In this episode…
- Used Sandspeeders, cheap
- Recycled cell phones into a house
- Einstein’s childhood math errors
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Happy Birthday to:
- 18 – Luke (platypuss72) from UK
- 18 – Xianfox from Appleton
- 19 – Steven (sphen603) from Wichita, Kansas
- 21 – Ascii Adam from the Hook Show
- 22 – Lance Heath
- 22 – Jack Stevens
- 22 – Chris Martinez (Scotland)
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for July 18, 2012
- It was on this date in 1862 that saw the First ascent of Dent Blanche, one of the highest summits in the Alps.
- Also today in 1914, The U.S. Congress forms the Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps, giving definite status to aircraft within the U.S. Army for the first time.
- It was 87 years ago today that Adolf Hitler publishes his personal manifesto Mein Kampf
- And on July 18, 1955 – The first Disneyland theme park, in Anaheim, California, officially opens to the public.
- Gemini 10 is launched from Cape Kennedy on a 70-hour mission that includes docking with an orbiting Agena target vehicle today in 1966.
- 43 years ago today the Intel Corporation is founded in Santa Clara, California.
- and today in 1969 – After a party on Chappaquiddick Island, Senator Ted Kennedy from Massachusetts drives an Oldsmobile off a bridge and his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, died.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- English scientist, Robert Hooke, born on this date in 1635
- also born today 1853, Hendrik Lorentz, the Dutch physicist and Nobel Prize laureate
- American activist, philanthropist, and RMS Titanic passenger – The unsinkable Molly Brown is born today in 1867
- American actor and comedian Red Skelton would have been 99 today
- Former South African President and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nelson Mandela celebrates his 94th birthday
- Astronaut and politician John Glenn turns 91.
- and finally happy 45th birthday to actor Vin Diesel.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for July 18, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- It doesn’t matter how much you spend, a vacuum is still not a good gift for your wife
- Sony patents vein reading toilet
- DeLoren 4×4
- Brazil was once a mythical island just off the coast of Ireland
- Remember the apocolypse 40 years ago? Yeah, me too.
- From MadMarv – Age test
- What’s the connection between Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil and an old black and white television set?
- E.T. glowing finger – how did this get on store shelves?
- People living on the set of Phantom Menance!
What the Kreg!
- Are there any Editors on the internet? (Link)
- What’s your Batman name? “I’m Batman!”, you?
- 10 fun ways to euthanize yourself
- What’s the first email you have archived?
- Chuck (6/20/1994 – electronically, 10/20/1986 hardcopy)
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five