In this episode…
- A way to remove annoying ads from your browser
- Scientists finally unravel dark matter
- A door to nowhere
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- June 29 – Martin McKeay (Accch, this is the Big 40!)
- June 30 – Alexis Duran (ADdude)
- July 04 – Mike McBride
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for June 27, 2012
- It was on this date in 1895 that the inaugural run of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s Royal Blue from Washington, D.C., to New York, New York, the first U.S. passenger train to use electric locomotives.
- Also on this date in 1898 – The first solo circumnavigation of the globe is completed by Joshua Slocum from Briar Island, Nova Scotia.
- Capt. Lowell H. Smith and Lt. John P. Richter perform the first ever aerial refueling in a DH-4B biplane today in 1923
- That same date in 1954 – The world’s first nuclear power station opens in Obninsk, near Moscow.
- The world’s first ATM is installed in Enfield Town, England, United Kingdom 45 years ago.
- 30 years ago today, Space Shuttle Columbia is launched from the Kennedy Space Center on the final research and development flight mission, STS-4.
- US Route 66 ceases to be an official US highway on this date in 1985.
- It was June 27, 2005 that AMD files broad anti-trust complaints against Intel corporation in US courts alleging abuse of monopoly powers and anti-trust violations.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Danish mathematician Jørgen Pedersen Gram, born today in 1850
- Also born today in 1869, Nobel prize winner Hans Spemann
- Actor Bob Keeshan, better know to most of us over 35 or so as Captain Kangaroo, was born today in 1927
- TV and movie writer/producer J. J. Abrams turns 46 today
- Christian Kane, the man who plays Eliot Spencer on TNT’s Leverage turns 38. It says here, he’s also a singer!
- And finally, Spiderman, actor Tobey Maguire turns 37.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 27, 2012
- Take a waterless shower! Great for gaming conventions!
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Know your movies before you post
- Mickey Mouse had a much darker side once upon a time
- Our buddy Vernon Wilmer put together tribute to Star Trek that trumpets it high points
What the Chuck!
- A solution to a problem nobody asked for
What the Kreg!
- We don’t need foamier beer!
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: email@example.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five