In this episode…
- A smartphone app that is the best thing since sliced bread
- If you didn’t already drink the Kool-Aid, you may not want to
- Frightening news about the new Batman movie
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 21 – Ascii Adam from the Hook Show
- 22 – Lance Heath
- 22 – Jack Stevens
- 25 – Mark Sheppard (Wichita, Kansas) Born 1957
- 25 – Jim Guckin from Philadelphia, Pa
- 26 – Patrick Norton
- 26 – Daughter of Will The Computer Guy
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Join us on the Google+ hangout every Sunday night at 9:30PM ET to see and hear the show raw and unedited. Just circle Technorama Podcast, Kreg, or me and you’ll see the announcement when we join the hangout.
On This Day In History for June 20, 2012
- It was on this date in 1214 that The University of Oxford receives its charter.
- That same date in 1819 – The U.S. vessel SS Savannah arrives at Liverpool, England, United Kingdom. She is the first steam-propelled vessel to cross the Atlantic, although most of the journey is made under sail.
- Samuel Morse receives the patent for, the iTap today in 1840.. His marketing team later renamed it the telegraph.
- It was also today in 1877 that Alexander Graham Bell installs the world’s first commercial telephone service in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- The busiest railway station in India, Victoria Terminus, opens today in 1887 in Bombay.
- June 20, 1893 – Lizzie Borden is acquitted of the murders of her father and stepmother.
- Toast of the Town, later The Ed Sullivan Show, makes its television debut 64 years ago today.
- Also today in 1963 – The so-called “red telephone” is established between the Soviet Union and the United States following the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- Asteroid Eureka is discovered June 20, 1990
- and just 9 years ago, The WikiMedia Foundation is founded in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Greek-born South African astronomer John S. Paraskevopoulos, born today in 1889
- Also born today in 1894, Lloyd Hall the American chemist
- One of the most famous actors to play Robin Hood, Australian actor Errol Flynn was born today in 1909
- German physicist and astronaut Ulf Merbold, celebrates his 71st birthday today
- The woman who does many voices on the Simpsons and Futurama, Tress MacNeille, turns 61 today
- and finally actor John Goodman, turns 60.
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for June 20, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Because you never know when you’ll want a burger during a staff meeting
- Chuck’s new missing in an Apple store – close the laptops
- A table for those who like to doodle (from Mad Marv)
- 13 Tech sounds you won’t hear any more – Unless you listen to Technorama
- Oh darn, Turtles have been given red light
- Be a Zombie (Or Run From Them) at “The Walking Dead Escape” « Nerdist
- In case you end up on the wrong side of the zombie apocolypse
- The Hokey Pokey is older than we originally thought! – Shakespeare
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: email@example.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a ANYONE about Technorama and…
- binary high five