Coming up in this episode…
- McFood you didn’t McKnow about
- Strange animal and strange music come together
- Hollywood got it wrong, again?
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- No birthdays on the calendar this week!
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
- Voice mail from Bruce Barr
On This Day In History for February 29, 2012
- It was on this date in 1504 that Christopher Columbus uses his knowledge of a lunar eclipse that night to convince Native Americans to provide him with supplies.
- Did you know there was a February 30th? Today in 1712 – February 29 is followed by February 30 in Sweden, in a move to abolish the Swedish calendar for a return to the Old style.
- Also today in 1916 In South Carolina, the minimum working age for factory, mill, and mine workers is raised from twelve to fourteen years old.
- Bill Keane’s comic Family Circus makes its debut today in 1960.
- An earthquake in Morocco kills over 3,000 people and nearly destroys Agadir in the southern part of the country that same day in 1960.
- Also on this date in 1972 – Hank Aaron becomes the first player in the history of Major League Baseball to sign a $200,000 contract.
- and 16 years ago today – Faucett Flight 251 crashes in the Andes, killing 123 people.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Italian composer Gioachino Rossini, born on this date in 1792
- Also born today in 1840 – Submarine designer and inventor John Philip Holland,
- The man for whom punch cards were named, American statistician Herman Hollerith was born today in 1860
- Film director William A. Wellman, was also born today in 1896
- as was band leader Jimmy Dorsey in 1904
- Vance Haynes, the American archaeologist turns 84 today
- and mathematician Gene Golub was born on this date in 1932
- Finally American astronaut Jack Lousma celebrates his 76th birthday today
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 29, 2012
- Why do astronauts crave spicy food?
- Check your cables before announcing you’ve made a breakthrough discovery
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Indiana Jones, or rather Hollywood, may have gotten it wrong (again)
- Kreg, as you enjoy watching ST:TNG, watch how many times Worf is wrong
- How much would it cost to build the Death Star?
What the Chuck!
- Some basic lessons on critical thinking and logic
- Midway has come out with the Coolest video game app I’ve found yet
- (Kreg) I love The Clone Wars…I see what Darth Maul is coming back.
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five