Coming up in this episode…
- School encourages better grammar with a ban
- A job interview test from yesterday
- We’ll make you wish you were dying
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 23 – Zhadum
- 23 – Keith Hughes(a.k.a. EdGizmo)
- 25 – Norbert
- 25 – Sandi Sheppard (Mark’s lovely wife)
- 29 – Paul Dove a.k.a Eilmer From Malmesbury UK
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
- Bruce Barr
On This Day In History for February 22, 2012
- It was on this date in 1632 that Galileo‘s Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems is published.
- That same date in 1879 in Utica, New York, Frank Woolworth opens the first of many of 5 and dime Woolworth stores.
- The United Kingdom sells a meteorological station on the South Orkney Islands to Argentina today in 1904. The islands are subsequently claimed by the United Kingdom in 1908.
- U.S. President Calvin Coolidge becomes the first President to deliver a radio broadcast from the White House. on this date in 1924. (That was two years after President Harding brought the first radio to the White House.)
- and today in 1995 – The Corona reconnaissance satellite program, in existence from 1959 to 1972, is declassified.
- It was exactly one year ago today that an earthquake measuring 6.3 in magnitude strikes Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 181 people.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- German mathematician Carl Wilhelm Borchardt, born today in 1817
- also born today in 1824 French astronomer Pierre Janssen
- Russian mathematician Nikolay Sonin, was born on this date in 1849
- and on February 22, 1857 German physicist Heinrich Rudolf Hertz was born
- this time a SWISS physicist -Walter Ritz, was born in 1878
- Danish physical chemist Johannes Nicolaus Brønsted, was born today in 1879
- also born today in 1880 – Hungarian mathematician Frigyes Riesz
- Yeah – another physicist – German physicist Fritz Strassmann was born today in 1902
- The world’s tallest man ever measuring in at 8 feet 11.1 inches (or 2.72 meters), Robert Wadlow, was born on this date in 1918
- The crocodile hunter, Steve Irwin would have been 50 today.
- and finally, one of the two men who brought us the Mortal Kombat video games, Ed Boon, turns 48
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 22, 2012
Hacks & Strange Stories
- We tried to warn you – texting and walking is dangerous. Now we have proof.
- Always check your eBay items before you sell them!
- Rare working Black Apple ][ on eBay
- We really didn’t know too much about space travel back in John Glenn’s days
- I wish I were dying so I could make a wish like this – Drivable R2-D2
- Chuck’s favorite floppy drive song yet
What the Chuck!
- (From Mike Wills and Will Shattuck) Canadian digs out basement using only radio controlled tractors and trucks… since 2005!
- Could you have passed Thomas Edison’s job interview test?
- Great way to troll someone’s windows desktop
- Great juxtaposition (image)
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five