Coming up in this episode…
- Don’t like what you’re kids are doing online? We’ve got an answer.
- A wedding proposal based on our show sign off?
- Do you remember the first PC game? It’s baaaaack!
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 15 – Philip from Australia
- 19 – Scooter in Connecticut
- 19 – Steve in Sumter
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- We are doing this again on Google+ as a hangout. We’d love to see you there and hopefully one day we’ll get the On Air capability.
On This Day In History for February 15, 2012
- It was on this date in 1946 that ENIAC, the first electronic general-purpose computer, is formally dedicated at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
- that same date in 1971, The decimalisation of British coinage is completed on Decimal Day.
- Sound recordings are granted U.S. federal copyright protection for the first time on this date in 1972.
- February 15, 1982 – The drilling rig Ocean Ranger sinks during a storm off the coast of Newfoundland, killing 84 workers.
- At the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in China, a Long March 3 rocket, carrying an Intelsat 708, crashes into a rural village after liftoff, killing many people today in 1996.
- and just 11 years ago in 2001 the first draft of the complete human genome is published in Nature.
Happy Birthday goes out on this day to:
- Italian astronomer and physicist Galileo Galilei born on this date in 1564.
- Cyrus McCormick, American inventor was born today in 1809
- Also born on this date in 1812 – Jeweler Charles Lewis Tiffany
- Irish Antarctic exploer Sir Ernest Shackleton was born on this date in 1874
- turn 78 today is Swiss computer scientist Niklaus Wirth
- Astronaut Roger Chaffee was born today in 1935
- One of our favorite cartoonists, Matt Groening turns 58.
- and finally NASA Astronaut Leland D. Melvin, celebrates his 48th birthday today
And that’s the way it was, on this day in history for February 15, 2012
- Matt Beckwith
- Suzie the Geek
- Mark in Memphis
- Don’t like what your kids are doing on Facebook? Here’s one way to deal with it.
Hacks & Strange Stories
What the Kreg!
- Saw Star Wars 1 in 3D
- Saw Space Junk
End of Show Stuff
- Keep listening: Interview with Ranger Craig Glassner from Alcatraz coming up
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- Everyone who sent us links during the week
- Those who joined us in the hangout
- You, for downloading and listening
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five