In this episode…
- A robot that makes cookies? I’ll take a dozen
- Are porta-potties the next terrorist target?
- Something else we’re not quite sure of
Listen below with the audio player or Click Here for complete show notes and video from the show.
Introducing the team…
- Shout out to the chat room
- Happy Birthday to:
- 01 – Selganor
- 02 – Anthony Gartner (Enigmavb)
- 04 – Leo Schrauwen history and pictures from Ekeren (Antwerp, Belgium) in Dutch
- 04- Tara Parkman (daughter of Richard Parkman)
- 06 – Adam Larson (UncleAdam)
- 06 – Grandma Grace (1921)
- 08 – Bobby Irvin
- 10 – Tim (from Australia)
- 10 – Weber (BTW June 10 – AA was founded 1935)
- 15 – Miss Eliza Sea from Wingin’ It 3D
- 16 – Joe Edmisson
- 16 – Jason from The Angry Geek
- 17 – Digital Dan from the Hook Show
- 18 – Luke (platypuss72) from uk
- 18 –Xianfox from Appleton
- 19 – Steven (sphen603) from Wichita, Kansas
- 21 – Ascii Adam from the Hook Show
- If you want to get on the Technorama Birthday Calendar, visit our Wiki.
- Listen to the audio stream if you happen to be around. If you cannot make it, you can find us on ustream.tv. Search for Technorama.
On this day in history…
- It was on this day in 763 BC – The Assyrians record a solar eclipse that is later used to fix the chronology of Mesopotamian history.
- The first human blood transfusion is administered by Dr. Jean-Baptiste Denys today in 1667.
- Benjamin Franklin makes his shocking discovery today in 1752 when he proves that lightning is electricity.
- It was today in 1785 that saw the first ever casualties of an air crash. Two French men die when their hot air balloon explodes during their attempt to cross the English Channel.
- Charles Goodyear receives a patent for vulcanization, a process to strengthen rubber today in 1844 – and processed cheese was born
- John Alcock and Arthur Brown complete the first nonstop transatlantic flight when they reach Clifden, County Galway, Ireland on this date in 1919.
- It was today in 1955 that The Eisenhower administration stages the first annual “Operation Alert” (OPAL) exercise, an attempt to assess the USA’s preparations for a nuclear attack.
- Near-Earth asteroid 2002 MN misses the Earth by 75,000 miles (121,000 km), about one-third of the distance between the Earth and the Moon just nine years ago.
Happy Birthday goes out on this date to
- Frech Mathematician Bernard Lamy, born today in 1640
- Another mathematician, Nikolai Chebotaryov was born today in 1894 in Ukraine.
- Virologist, and Nobel laureate Thomas Huckle Weller was born today in 1915
- Another Nobel laureate, chemist John Bennett Fenn was born on this date in 1917
- Legendary comic book creator Hugo Pratt was born today in 1927
- Paleontologist Jack Horner turns 65 today (we have a story about him later)
- Julie Hagerty, the actress who played Elaine on one of my favorite movies “Airplane” turns 56.
- and finally, Doogie Hauser, Doctor Horrible, among other things, actor Neil Patrick Harris turns 38 today
and that’s the way it was on this day for June 15, 2011
Hacks & Strange Stories
- Matt Groening worked for Apple at one time
- Idiots Guide: How to be a Pirate
- Build a dinosaur from a chicken
- Julie’s becoming a browncoat
End of Show Stuff
- We appreciate your support. If you like the show, there are many ways to show your love:
- Call the Listener Line: 206-222-CHAT (2428)
- Email: email@example.com
- or on Twitter! @Ctomasi, @Steppek, and @technorama
- Web Site: www.chuckchat.com (forums, swag, webcam, mail lists, links in the show notes, and more)
- How about a donation to the tip jar: one time or monthly micro payment.
- Or a review on the iTunes music store, Podcast Pickle, Podcast Alley, or any one of the many podcast directories.
- Thanks to
- Mad Marv for providing the great blog content
- uStream who keeps our modest live streams going on Sunday
- and our Chat room that is provided by thinstack.net
- This show is a member of Friends in Tech. Find out more at FriendsInTech.com
- We’re also affiliated with FarpointMedia.com and all the great podcasts over there. Check them out, we know you’ll find something you’ll enjoy. There are new shows coming on board all the time.
- If you’re getting this show by clicking on the link on the web site, consider subscribing to get the show automatically delivered to you for free. Drop either one of us an email if you would like more information.
- Tell a friend about Technorama and…
- binary high five